1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for running writing moderation staff meeting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pantobabe, Nov 1, 2018.

1. pantobabe

pantobabe New commenter

Hi there,

Looking for some advice- I have recently been promoted to literacy lead and I am tasked with organising a writing moderation staff meeting next half term for y1-6. Could anyone provide me with some ideas on how best to run this? Do I collect sample children from each year group, photocopy their work, provide small mixed phase groups our assessment grids and then get them to work together to assess the children and feed back to check we are all on similar lines? This is how my previous schools have always ran moderation but open to new (possibly more exciting) ideas!

That’s is

2. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

It's quite nice if you give each year group the same stimulus to write about. Each year produces the same text type at their level and you can see the progression across the school really easily.

Other than this, giving each pair/group a pack of work and assessment grids works. I would also try to make sure that people don't focus on their own year group, just so you get a more objective view of the work.

Doesn't necessarily need to be exciting, just useful for everyone.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is what I've done in the past.
    With your suggestion of photocopying samples of work and then asking people to discuss in groups how they would 'assess'. Initially without any hints/ check-sheets etc. Don't just give KS1 to KS1 staff and KS2 to KS2 either but mix them up.

Then we would have a sample check sheet to consider and improve , which would then provide a benchmark across the school and also provide evidence of 'school improvement' documentation. ;)

digoryvenn likes this.