1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Revision in Mixed Level IGCSE Class

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by JaneMaths, Feb 23, 2011.

1. I am about to start revision with my Year 11s and the class is half higher level and half foundation. There will be plenty of times when I will revise with the whole class but I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for some activities for the foundation people to do, while I am revising with the higher level, that are fairly quiet but interesting, so that they do not feel that they are second class citizens!
    Any ideas welcome!

2. I am about to start revision with my Year 11s and the class is half higher level and half foundation. There will be plenty of times when I will revise with the whole class but I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for some activities for the foundation people to do, while I am revising with the higher level, that are fairly quiet but interesting, so that they do not feel that they are second class citizens!
    Any ideas welcome!

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Jane are there any Tarsia activities they could try?

Anything from the APP toolkit?
    We have only just got this but at first glance looks like there's lots there - seems good value for money.
    I know others here have recommended it.

4. One of my favourites is to answer a past paper with deliberate mistakes based on common misconceptions as well as a lot of correct answers, hand them out in groups of 3 or 4 and get them to work through the paper. If they are looking for mistakes they seem to be far more involved and think they are getting one over on you. Get them to correct the mistakes and also try to figure out how many marks (and hence the grade) the paper was worth. Seems to help them to realise that you don't have to get 100% to pass. my top tip would be to get the questions at the end of the paper correct - that way they get to see how a question should be set out but they also study it closely (hoping to catch you out).

5. Thank you for those good ideas - will have a look at the Tarsia stuff tomorrow and can also make up some answers for a paper

Thank you both

6. I think using a range of strategies is ideal and some good ones have been given above. There are some topics spanning both papers.
    My approach for one activity once a week
    (i) Take pupils in pairs. Call them Team 1,2,3.....and so on in the class
    (ii) Get a higher past paper
    (iii) Split it in half
    (iv) Higher pupil does second half, Foundation pupil first half and they work alone
    (v) Mark them and (a) have a winner out of the pair within the team and (b) have a winning pair from the class who together get the highest combined grade
    This would create a good level of competition whilst promoting team work and success.
    You can play about with pairing based on ability and can resort to 'most improved team' rather than straight out winners to factor lower ability pupils.

7. I've done this Janemaths.
    Some lessons you can teach them together but others you just can't.
    I usually had work prepared for my higher students while I taught the foundation students for about 20 mins. Then the foundation students were expected to work together while I taught the higher students for 20 mins. Then for the last 20 mins I would support the whol class.
    I used quite a lot of mymaths in the background, so if they were stuck with the work I'd set them and I wasn't avaialble they had something useful to get on with.
    It wasnt' perfect but the students understood and we all made the best of it. It helped that my classrom had whiteboards at both ends and that they sat in groups and were used to working independently.

8. By now, your class will all be at different points with largely different needs so minimise whole-class teaching & concentrate on working with 1/2/3 people at a atime on a problem they have encountered.
    Resources
    Tarsia
    Supermathsworld.com
    Past Paper Question packs
    Old papers
    Methodology
    Group / paired work on the above
    Have YOUR solutions readily available as quick reference for pupils - no need to go and mark everything.
    For past papers and PPQ's, set up an Excel spreadsheet with scores / %ages as a League Table - they fight to get up that!!

Personally, I find these last few weeks with Year 11 so pleasant because the weight is off my shoulders and on theirs [at last] - and they tend to respond very well to being made responsible for their progress, in my experience, anyway.....

9. I knew I would get some brillant ideas posting on here, thank you all VERY much indeed. I shall spend this evening investigating.
    I do agree with you, valed, that when we get to this stage, it is very pleasant - probably my favourite bit of the two year course!!

10. jacksonator - I have had such fun writing some silly answers for questions - let's hope they spot them!!!