1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for resistant material lesson

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jessed, Jun 25, 2011.

1. jessed

jessed New commenter

Hi,

I am trying to plan for my new class in september (massive change to what I teaching at the moment); most of my students will be between P4 and P6.

I have a 'resistant materials' lesson which has learning outcomes such as 'I can roll a cylinder', 'I can observe different movements in the environment', 'I can use simple tools with dough or clay'. At the moment, the only thing I can think of doing is making cookies or something with dough.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do?

Thanks

Jess

2. How about making some salt dough or playdough?

3. jessed

jessed New commenter

I did think about that but just wondering how to make it into a lesson.

4. I normally start off by passing round the various ingredients and letting the children touch, smell etc the various things - within reason - obviously care with salt. Its nice to put different smells in playdough - almonds especially I find lovely in playdough. Also putting glitter and food colouring in is good fun. If you've got a theme then cutters in those shapes. Saltdough can be slowly baked and varnished when dry.

5. jessed

jessed New commenter

Great thanks...! I think I may try to get some cutters etc.

Jessed