1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for 're-vamping' KS3 English SOW

Discussion in 'English' started by daz2813, Feb 25, 2012.

1. As part of my new role as head of KS3 English I have been asked to completely 're-vamp' the SOWs. Currently, there are 4 SOW in place for each year group and these all need to go. I have been given a decent budget and 3 able and willing teachers to help with this task. The difficulty I'm having is that I need to direct these teachers and have some idea where I'm going to spend the money by Easter. I feel overwhelmed at the moment because I have so many other things to deal with in work now. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. As part of my new role as head of KS3 English I have been asked to completely 're-vamp' the SOWs. Currently, there are 4 SOW in place for each year group and these all need to go. I have been given a decent budget and 3 able and willing teachers to help with this task. The difficulty I'm having is that I need to direct these teachers and have some idea where I'm going to spend the money by Easter. I feel overwhelmed at the moment because I have so many other things to deal with in work now. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

3. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Start off with the National curriculum (although will be re-drafted soon ish).
    What is the stipulation? e.g. play, novel, poetry, non-fiction etc. Decide where you want to place these.
    Then think about the Afs - where do you want to target certain AFs? Create assessments that will target 2-3 specific Afs.
    Ensure you have a balance of reading and writing.
    Make it manageable for staff.

4. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

And Speaking and Listening.
    Look at the progression for KS3 document and make sure you are building on year 7 work. I'm currently engaged in doing the same, but with no extra funding and more or less single-handedly! I've got a recently created unit on magazine production and evaluation if you want to PM me?
    Good luck, think of it as an exciting opportunity to revamp things and play to the strengths of your teachers.

5. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Absolutely -geez can't believe I forgot speaking and listening.

Also look at your year 9 carefully and consider how they could be best prepared for GCSE - e.g. could they do a prompts and recreations task or a moving image task as a writing assessment?

6. 2knackered

2knackered New commenter

"Currently, there are 4 SOW in place for each year group"
    We have a SOW per half term - is this something you could look into and would work for you? We cover Shakespeare, poetry, novel, drama, media, and creative writing in each year - under different genres or using different texts.
    Might be something to think about.
    HTH

7. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

A new English novel (Demons and Thieves by Lynda Berger) which has a KS3 reading and writing workbook ,as well as
    music and artwork, has been recently piloted in Surrey. The children loved
    it. The novel is available to schools
    but not to the general public, due to current film negotiations. The workbook has optional
    Assessment Foci for all tasks and will greatly reduce lesson-planning time.
    There might be scope in this for you in your current situation? Hope the details below come through on this reply. Good luck!

For info, contact: info@demonsandthieves.com 01932-855815