1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for project-based MFL learning for an SEN class

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Talltigger, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Hi!
    I'm an SEN teacher who will be sharing a Y8 SEN French class from September. I don't speak French (yet..!), and my role will be to plan a year's worth of work (an hour a week) on general geographical, historical, scientific aspects of France - so, getting the students to research the different regions of France, learning how French Government works, French food etc.
    Would anyone be kind enough to come up with some ideas to get me kick started? I'm at the stage where I have some loose ideas, and just need a sharper focus to tie together a strand of learning ideas.
    Any help you might be able to offer would be very gratefully received
    Many thanks

2. Hi!
    I'm an SEN teacher who will be sharing a Y8 SEN French class from September. I don't speak French (yet..!), and my role will be to plan a year's worth of work (an hour a week) on general geographical, historical, scientific aspects of France - so, getting the students to research the different regions of France, learning how French Government works, French food etc.
    Would anyone be kind enough to come up with some ideas to get me kick started? I'm at the stage where I have some loose ideas, and just need a sharper focus to tie together a strand of learning ideas.
    Any help you might be able to offer would be very gratefully received
    Many thanks

3. I would start by asking what would a y8 SEN class want to know about any country. So of the ideas you have given here I would say food yes definitely and French government definitely not, unless it is in UK we have a queen in France they have a president. Not sure where you could go after that.
    To return to food you can get lots of Geography out of that, food tasting could link with like dislikes. If possible make French recipes more links to vocb with ingredients.
    Then you could look at sport, Rugby le tournoi des 6 nations for example. Football lots of links between UK and French players/ managers.
    Music, cinema. Day trip to Paris, how do you get there, what to see (Sport event) (Concert)
    what do you eat, where?. You could then all go on the trip next summer. If they all work hard.
    Sorry its disorganised, just what cae off the top of my head. Bonne Chance!

4. Try and get hold of a copy of France Live - this is a textbook which is quite accessible and is basically English texts (with a few key words and phrases in French) and is topic based including reading comprehensions and things for pupils to find out or research! Even if you can only get one copy for yourself it would be worth it. We used it very successfully when we had non linguists with some very very low ability groups in year 8 and 9 for one lesson a week. We used it as part of literacy intervention too!

5. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

I really like this website
    www.euroclubschools.co.uk
    Bonne chance!

6. Many thanks to all of you for your fantastic ideas, it is very much appreciated!