1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for outside phonics activities?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by KarrieGem, May 20, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone,

I am not experienced in early years but I am covering a few days a week in a Nursery class at the moment. We are practicing single letter sounds and we have a lovely outside area and I am trying to think of some good ideas but going blank at the moment. We have done 'sound hunts' where pictures of objects beginning with sounds we are looking at are put around the garden for children to find but I would like to do something different. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

2. Hi Everyone,

I am not experienced in early years but I am covering a few days a week in a Nursery class at the moment. We are practicing single letter sounds and we have a lovely outside area and I am trying to think of some good ideas but going blank at the moment. We have done 'sound hunts' where pictures of objects beginning with sounds we are looking at are put around the garden for children to find but I would like to do something different. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,
    K x

3. Hi,

What about lots of activities for writing and recognising the single letter sounds? Chunky chalks, washing up bottles filled with glittery water, shaving foam in tough spots or large trays, burying that letter in the sand pit, or putting letters on the bottom of cheap rubber ducks and putting them into water trays for the children to catch with a net.

Hope some of those ideas help?