1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for observed revision lesson

Discussion in 'Science' started by toonfan, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Thanks for the replies...am I being a real numpty as I have no idea about the terms 'marketplace' and 'quick on the draw'...maybe I can blame the fact its Friday!

2. Quick on the draw.

The aim of the activity is for a groups to work collaboratively to complete the questions before the other groups.

Here?s how it works. Prepare a set of questions (about ten) and enough copies for one set per group. These need to be on different coloured paper or in a specific place so that groups don?t get their questions mixed up. Divide the class into groups of three or four and then tell them which set of questions is theirs. Give out the souce materials which contain the answers to the questions in the question sets. These could be photocopied from a textbook, taken from the Internet, etc. Dont? make the answers too straightforward ? they have to do some ?digging?! I also give them sugar paper or something else large so different people can add to the answers at the same time.

When you say ?go!? one person from each group runs to your desk (or wherever the questions are located), picks up their first question and takes it back to their group. Using the source material, the group finds the answer and writes it down as fully as possible. Some people get a second person from the group takes this answer to the teacher, who checks it and then if the answer is correct and complete the second question can be taken, and so on. I prefer to check on progress as I visit each group and give them the responsibility to answer fully.

Encourage the students who are waiting for the questions to be returned or checked to be ?scanning? the material to be familiar with it so they can answer future questions more quickly. A tip ? it?s a good idea to make the first couple of questions easier to get the groups into it and to foster a sense of urgency. Once a group has completed all the questions accurately and completely, they win and the activity ends. I then get groups to swap their answers and peer assess each other - often using 2 stars and a wish.

This activity works with pretty much any class, so long as you differentiate the materials correctly. The boys tend to love the competitive element, whilst the girls love trying to find the answers quickly!

As a plenary I sometimes devise a quiz which can only be answered from the information they have on their answer sheet. I then get them to assess whether they have been successful in terms of the lesson and which answers they would need to develop. You could do the same with one or two practice test questions.

Hope this explains it all!