1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Numeracy Lesson for an Observation please???!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by beccy.d, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Hi there,
    Trainee in last year placement. Got an observation for Numeracy next week and wondered if anyone had any hands on ideas for a class who are rubbish at subtraction? :-(
    the objective is: use vocabulary related to addition and subtraction and symbols to describe and record addition and subtraction number sentences.
    Thought I could either have a big pizza in middle of floor and toppings that the children will have hold of. and question addition and subtraction by putting toppings on and off the pizza. But then thought with it being Easter, could do a nest in middle of floor with children in a circle and have some cut out eggs layed out in the nest. i will tell children to close eyes whilst i take some eggs away and put them under the nest and ask children how many eggs the chicken is sat on and how many are left etc. but got a bit clueless on how to extend this into group activities or if this is just completely rubbish anyway?? any ideas greatly appreciated!!! plus mental starters?!

2. Hi there,
    Trainee in last year placement. Got an observation for Numeracy next week and wondered if anyone had any hands on ideas for a class who are rubbish at subtraction? :-(
    the objective is: use vocabulary related to addition and subtraction and symbols to describe and record addition and subtraction number sentences.
    Thought I could either have a big pizza in middle of floor and toppings that the children will have hold of. and question addition and subtraction by putting toppings on and off the pizza. But then thought with it being Easter, could do a nest in middle of floor with children in a circle and have some cut out eggs layed out in the nest. i will tell children to close eyes whilst i take some eggs away and put them under the nest and ask children how many eggs the chicken is sat on and how many are left etc. but got a bit clueless on how to extend this into group activities or if this is just completely rubbish anyway?? any ideas greatly appreciated!!! plus mental starters?!

3. Hi Becci,
    What year group is this for?

I love the idea of having nests and egss, linked to easter - could you also do this on interactive whiteboard and so talk about "taking away", "subtracting" and all the opther vocab. Then once you've done this a few times extend it to recording as a number sentence.

Not sure on group activities without knowing age of children? x

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

try tricking them with smarties ot mini chocolate egss..i bet they soom learn a lot of skills if they are getting to eat them..they soon learn to subtract and add!

5. sorry forgot to add that it is a year 1 class but they are of a very wide range. have a little girl with global learning delay who we think is on the autistic spectrum and really need to also concentrate on stretching my high ability children.
    The more hand on the better as behaviour is ridiculous!!! and they are class which don't get motivated by anything!!

thanks again for all the ideas xx

6. I did "cookies on a plate" with my year ones to focus upon subtraction and it really kept their interest. How many adults do you have?

You could leave your higher ability group to work independantly (with practical equipment to help) and have an adult working with your other groups, continuing on same theme but recording number sentences on whitebaords?

7. lovely idea! I also have lots of spare paper plates from doing pizza fractions :) shame we have to pretend food though! my children would eat it all and do nothing for it, lazy bunch!! although I have done a rotated activity for a halves and quarters lesson and children made paper plate pizza's cut them and folded them and I had a table for cutting and eating cakes whilst children did the independent pizza activity. might try this with a sweets (smarties/ mini eggs!!) table and all children can work with me on that (so they get to have sweets but i can make sure they do some work for them :D) and i can rotate this whilst others work independently on tables with cubes and plates and practise writing sentences. sorry thinking out loud! always helps!!

I only have 14 children - hence behaviour!!! I will most likely have 1 TA with me as children are constantly going out with other TA for wave and els etc. and this TA is a one to one with my autistic child.

whiteboards good though, the children do like to use these rather than write in books!

thanks!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

if using white baords remember they like to copy words so use then for the words thy need, ad also make it a practical one of them drawing the plates etc on the boards......

9. When using white board with whole class, could you have symbol cards for each child, an addition and a subtraction. As you add 'eggs' to the nest, you ask ' is this an addition or subtraction calculation?' they hold up correct symbol. that way they are relating the vocab to the symbol and the calculation. it's also a bit hands on, keeps them thinking about participating. Sounds like you have loads of ideas that are brill. Hope it goes well.

10. thanks everyone!

written a lesson plan for addition and subtraction. although i think i've been getting confused and wondered if any of you would take a look and give me your suggestions?? I would really really appreciate it!

I realised that when I was going to get the ch to count the eggs in the nest, then hide some and ask children how many i have hidden....when recording this themselves, it is a missing number question, so I didn't know if this was just too much?? my class need spoon feeding anyway as it is. so don't want to confuse them. as they are recording their own sums, what is the best way to help children record a missing number sum?

Also, not used the IWB as it is hands on so didn't know if you had any suggestions for that as well?

thanks very much for any help
    rebecca-davies@hotmail.com

xx

11. this is the first lesson on addition (the one before my observation lesson!)
    <table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="7"><tr><td colspan="5"><u>Session Plan

Subject: Numeracy
    Date: 30.03.09 Time: 09.40-10.10 / 10.45-12.00 Group/s: Y1 Number of Learners: 14
    </u>
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Learning Objectives:
    • To relate the symbols + and &ndash; to addition and subtraction vocabulary.
    • WALT: we are learning to write addition stories.
    • WILF: I know what addition and subtraction mean.
    </td><td>National Curriculum Links:
    <ol>[*]a, c, e, f, g, I[*]a, b, c[*]a, c, e[*]a, b[*]b</ol>
    </td><td colspan="2">Resources:
    Paper plates. Pizza cards. Dice. Mini whiteboards x7 and pens.
    </td></tr><tr><td>Planned Learning Experience:
    </td><td colspan="3">Role of the Teacher:
    </td><td>Assessment Opportunities:
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Introduction of the session:
    </td></tr><tr><td>Children play odd and even popcorn.
    </td><td colspan="3">Odd and even popcorn.
    Call out numbers and ask children spring up if it is even or stay crouched if it is odd.
    </td><td>Can children automatically identify some odd and even numbers?
    Do they use finger mental strategy?
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Sustaining the session:
    </td></tr><tr><td>Children add together different toppings using resources and record on whiteboards.
    Children apply knowledge of addition to problem solve.
    Children work in pairs to make pizzas and record number stories.

Higher: add 3 toppings. Middle: add 2 toppings. Lower: try adding the same topping if struggling to add 2 different toppings.
    </td><td colspan="3">Today we are learning how to add and subtract and how to write a number sentence for adding.
    Here is our pizza. We have lots of toppings we can use. We are going to create a pizza with 2 toppings. Pick 2 toppings. (ham and mushroom). Roll a dice. How many pieces of ham should we have? (for example: 3) roll dice again and ask how many pieces of mushroom to put on the pizza. (2) ok, so we had 3 pieces of ham and 2 pieces of mushroom. But how many toppings have we got altogether? Are we adding or subtracting? Adding. Why? (more toppings).
    Try more examples using: plus, add, more vocabulary.
    Also question after rolling of first dice. (for example: 3) We have 3 toppings but I would like 5 toppings. How many more can you put on the pizza to make 5 toppings for me?
    In-between try subtraction questions such as: after rolling first dice we may have 6 toppings of tomato. Tell children that I am taking 2 pieces of tomato off the pizza, model. Are we adding or subtracting? Taking away. How do you know? Taking toppings off the pizza. So how many toppings are there now? We had 6 I haven taken 2 away, how many are left? (4).
    Question first roll on dice (for example: 4). We have 4 toppings of pepper. Close your eyes. Put 2 more pieces of pepper on the pizza. How many pieces are there altogether now? (6). So how many did I put on when you weren&rsquo;t looking? (2). How do you know? 4 + 2 makes 6.
    After break (10.45 &ndash; 12.00)
    Use more practical examples and model how to write a number sentence using addition.
    Today we are writing number stories for adding. Let&rsquo;s try together. I will show you and then you can do one with me. Have + and &ndash; and = signs on the IWB to remind children of the signs in a number story.
    Roll dice and pick toppings.
    I have 3 mushrooms on the pizza. In our maths story, what number do we need to write first? (3). We have 3 mushrooms and I put 4 more pieces of pepper on the pizza. Are we adding or subtracting? Adding. Model + sign. So we have 3 mushrooms plus how many peppers? (4). Is that right? 3 mushrooms add 4 peppers? So what does 3 and 4 equal? (7) write 7 and miss the = sign. Ask children if this is correct or if I have missed something. Point to IWB and ask if I have used the correct signs? What is missing? (=) Lets read our story together to see if it makes sense. (use pics of mushrooms and peppers to help flow of story.) 3 mushrooms + 4 peppers = 7. Next example just numerals. Hand out mini whiteboards and ask children to work through example together. Emphasise using signs.
    Activities: Each pair has a set of toppings, paper plate, dice, wb. Ask children to take turns with partner to make pizza whilst other child writes the story. Remember all the numbers and signs. What are we doing, adding or subtracting? Adding!
    </td><td>Can children recognise that addition is adding/counting on and subtraction is taking away?
    How do children respond to different vocabulary? How many prompts do they need?
    Can children apply addition to problems? How many more?
    Can lower complete simple addition and record?
    Can higher add more than 2 toppings and apply to problems?
    Do children understand a number story? Can they retell the story in correct order and remember signs?
    Do children know what the different signs mean?

Can children check answers and estimates through counting on with fingers?
    <u>

</u>
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Conclusion of the session:
    </td></tr><tr><td>Children use cards to self evaluate traffic lights.
    </td><td colspan="3">Sit children on carpet and ask to self assess addition and recording stories.
    Traffic lights.
    </td><td>Do children self-evaluate using cards correctly?
    How confident are they with recording the sentences?
    </td></tr></table>

12. this is for my observation lesson (I have followed with subtraction)
    <table cellspacing="1" cellpadding="7"><tr><td colspan="5"><u>Session Plan

Subject: Numeracy
    Date: 01/04/09 Time: 10.45-12.00 Group/s: Y1 Number of Learners: 14
    </u>
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Learning Objectives:
    • To use vocabulary related to addition and subtraction and symbols to describe and record addition and subtraction number sentences.
    • WALT: We are learning to write subtraction number stories.
    • WILF: I know the signs for add, subtract and equals. + - =
    </td><td>National Curriculum Links:
    </td><td colspan="2">Resources:
    Big nest. Eggs. Chicken teddy. (or big cards of chicken and eggs.)
    Paper plates. Mini eggs. IWB with signs.
    Laminated eggs. Mini w/b x14.
    </td></tr><tr><td>Planned Learning Experience:
    </td><td colspan="3">Role of the Teacher:
    </td><td>Assessment Opportunities:
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Introduction of the session:
    </td></tr><tr><td>Children practise vocabulary of more and less/higher and lower using guess the number game.
    </td><td colspan="3">Higher or Lower game.
    Ask a child to pick a number from 1-20 and come to front. Whisper number to me. Explain that I will ask class to guess the number and that chosen child can only answer with higher if the number is more than you guessed, or lower if the number is lower or less than what was guessed. If you guess right, the chosen child will thumbs up!
    </td><td>Can children relate higher and lower to more and less?
    Are the children becoming more confident with &lsquo;less&rsquo; as a concept in preparation for subtraction as less?
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Sustaining the session:
    </td></tr><tr><td>Children practise subtraction using nest and eggs.
    Children work out the missing numbers.
    Children identify whether addition or subtraction stories and retell the story using my modelled subtraction sentences.

Children work in groups and take turns to hide eggs or take them away whilst others write the story.
    </td><td colspan="3">Today we are learning to write some number stories for taking away. First it is really important that we remember how to add and take away and what the signs are for adding and subtracting. (question add or take away through examples)
    With children in a circle explain that this is a chicken&rsquo;s nest and these are her eggs.
    • Question children with how many eggs the chicken has in her nest? (5)
    • Show children that I take 2 eggs away.
    • Ask children if this is an addition or a subtraction story? (Subtraction &ndash; taking away.)
    • Ask children how many I have taken away? (2) So we had 5 eggs and I took 2 away.
    • Ask children, how many are left? (3)
    • We had 5 eggs in the nest, I took 2 away and we have 3 left.
    Inbetween, question some addition (there are 4 eggs in the nest, close your eyes, place 3 more in the nest, open eyes, how many are there now? 7. Is this an addition or a subtraction? Why? Adding more. How many more have I put into the nest? 3.)
    • Count the eggs in the nest now. (6)
    • Close your eyes. (Take 1 away and hide under chicken.)
    • How many eggs are left in the nest? (5)
    • How many eggs is the chicken sat on? There were 6 eggs and now there are only 5 left. How many is the chicken sat on? (1). How do you know? (5 and 1 makes 6.)
    • Continue to question taking away and hiding eggs.
    (Choose children to hide eggs whilst others close eyes.)
    Explain to the children that we will be practising subtraction stories. Complete a number story on a mini whiteboard with the children. 7 &ndash; 2 = 5. Question which symbols (have displayed on IWB to remind children of the choices of + - and = signs).
    Complete missing number stories (8 eggs, hide 3 eggs, 5 eggs left) Identify 8 eggs, ask children if we are hiding eggs are we subtracting or adding? Subtracting. (8 - ) then leave a space, ask the children how many we have left? 5. Ask what we need before the 5? Equals. (8 - = 5) Question how many have we have taken away to make 5? (8 &ndash; 3 = 5.) Use different vocabulary &ndash; minus, take away, subtract.
    Children work in table groups with paper plates and laminated paper eggs. Working in groups. Adult with each group<font face="Arial" size="3">. One plate and laminated eggs. Whiteboards for each child. Adult begins activity. Puts out eggs for children to count. Identify number of eggs and record on mini w/b. Children put head down on table and Teacher hides some under the plate. Children count how many are left and record number at the end. Teacher questions did I take away or add? (take away). Show me where your take away sign goes. But what did I take away and hide? Remind the numbers we already have. Children record answer after the &ndash; symbol and write in = sign. Rotate activity so that each child has a chance to hide the eggs. </font>As children are working I will take 1 group at a time and rotate yellow table activity. Using real mini eggs chocs, Use paper plate and mini eggs. Teacher places eggs on plate and asks children to count them, children record on a mini w/b. Children put heads down on table whilst I take some away and hide them in a cup. Children count how many are left. And record on mini w/b. question if it is an addition or subtraction story? Children put appropriate symbol after first number. Ask children what other sign is missing? (equals =) Question how many I have hidden and eaten? Children record answers after minus sign and re-read story. Question an addition story verbally and ask child to help me show how to do this.
    Differentiation: Lower &ndash; simple subtraction (only a few one less for missing numbers.) Middle &ndash; mix of simple subtraction and missing numbers. Higher &ndash; Addition, subtraction and missing numbers. All to record on mini w/b.
    Soccer subtraction on IWB / leave nest and eggs on floor from main input / computer soccer game for continuous provision.
    </td><td>Do children remember how to relate subtraction to counting back?
    Can children get involved in telling a subtraction story in order?
    DO children remember the signs to use when recording number sentences?
    Look at individual mini w/b.

Can children work out the missing numbers?

Ask TA&rsquo;s to report back from group work.

<u>

</u>
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">Conclusion of the session:
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    Children evaluate their successes using traffic light fans.
    </td><td colspan="3"><u>Using traffic light cards, children evaluate their own successes.
    Explain that I think some of you might think: I&rsquo;m ok thanks. I know what subtract means and I know how to write a subtraction story.
    Some of you might think I&rsquo;m ok thanks but can you remind me again what subtract means.
    And some of you might think Miss D please can you explain this again, it&rsquo;s a bit confusing to write these stories.
    <u>

</u>
    </u>
    </td><td>
    Do children feel confident with writing subtraction stories?
    Do higher understand how to write stories with missing numbers?
    Can lower verbally retell a subtraction story and begin to remember the signs?
    </td></tr></table>

13. oh my that was a bad ideas wasn't it! sorry for all that writing all over the page!

14. Not kinaesthetic enough. Get the children in the hall or playground and get them moving around - there are 10 children in a circle...2 leave the circle...how many do we have?

15. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Really? I must have missed that particular statutory requirement.

16. Given that the thread is now nine months old, I'm sure the point is moot anyway!