1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Next Year

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by PoundStretcher, Apr 25, 2019.

1. PoundStretcher

PoundStretcher New commenter

I have the situation where I go from the equivalent of one hour a week at Key Stage 3 (Y7-9) to one hour a fortnight in Years 10 and 11. I want to do something meaningful but there is no qualification that I can get done in that time as the GLH only just cover all the time they would have throughout the school. Ideally the SLT would want a qualification to count towards performance but those options I believe are not available in that time.

What would other teachers do with the one hour a fortnight to make it a meaningful experience for them to work through? Unfortunately we don't have an option at KS4 either meaning that shadowing this is not an option.

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"What would other teachers do with the one hour a fortnight to make it a meaningful experience"

LOL. 1 hour a fortnight for KS4? Dream on. Suggest they have extra Maths instead? Maybe if your kids are all bright get them to write their own game, something simple using Scratch or Kodu? Or just play games, have some kind of game league, perhaps, or maybe teach them about the stock market and set up a share dealing game / league - a few online ones are available for schools. Planning to do anything of substance or meaningful is pretty much a waste of time. Have you asked your SLT what planet they were born on when deciding to schedule this?

3. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

As a 'qualification counting towards performance' is quite impossible, I would just do the programming aspects from GCSE CS, plus maybe a spattering of theory is you want to or if you are required to set homework. This could be the least stressful period on your timetable - easy money. Management/OFSTED couldn't question that the content of level was anything other than appropriate.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Would an Entry Level Certificate in Computer Science be possible in that amount of time?