1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for manageable and useful PLPs in primary

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Katie_Morag, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Katie_Morag

Katie_Morag New commenter

Has anyone got PLPs which they find manageble and useful in a primary school in Scotland? We have ones at the moment, but there are too many statements which have to be assessed each year with the progression through these noted.
    Also do you set termly targets, and how do you find this works?
    We have to do them, but we've been thinking in my school that the work the teachers put into them isn't worth it for the use that the PLPs are for the next teacher/ the child/ anyone!
    Any ideas/ opinions would be much appreciated![​IMG]

2. We only set targets twice a year in line with parents nights so it's August to Feb and March to May. They are evaluated by teacher, pupil and parents during parent consultation. I don't find them useful for the children and I have never come across a format that is useful for the children. Long term targets are too much for small children to deal with. The most important thing is that they know what they are learning for the next hour and then they evaluate at the end of the hour. After lunch they will have forgotten all this! Never mind remembering from August until February!!!!

3. Katie_Morag

Katie_Morag New commenter

I totally agree with your point that long term targets are too much for small children. I've tried displaying them in the classroom, but we cover so much in class that just having a target of 'use a capital letter and a full stop in a sentence' seems rather pointless for a term. Indeed we have to explain to parents that it's just 'part' of what we're learning about in class, which then makes me think 'why are we bothering at all'.
    I do learning logs in class and the children review what they have learned, what they have enjoyed and set a 'target' for the next week in terms of 'next week I will try to...' I wonder if it may better to send these back and forth from school each week rather than termly targets.

4. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, PLPs are "window-dressing" and a complete waste of time. The only reason most schools are doing them - or pretending to do them - is because HMIE / Education Scotland think they are a good idea and demand to see them.
    How can a teacher spend time with each pupil, every week, on a one-to-one basis, discussing their progress and next steps. Even just five minutes with each of a class of 30 would take two and a half hours, or half a day a week, and you would still only cover a tiny fraction of what pupils do in school.
    Also PLPs are supposed to be used from P1 to S6. Are secondary schools really using them, in every subject, for each pupil? Who draws all the information together in the PLP?
    Of course it sounds good to say, or pretend, that every pupil has a personal learning plan but, as they don't each have their own personal teacher, it is so much aspirational nonsense.
    So why are HMIE / Education Scotland expecting these meaningless plans to be in place?
    I suspect it is just another pointless bureaucratic exercise to ensure teachers are never able to get on top of their job and can always be found wanting.
    That way every successive government can blame schools, and teachers, for failings in education and society, and call for even more pointless bureaucracy to address the 'problems' that they have created.
    It also makes it easier to convince the electorate that teachers don't deserve their salaries and conditions of service because they are 'underperforming'.
    So my solution is, first of all, to get rid of HMIE / Education Scotland and then schools and teachers will be able to concentrate on what benefits the pupils.