1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for making maths fun/practical (Y2)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I am struggling to find ways to make certain aspects of numeracy fun, engaging and practical for my Y2 class. I am fine with the main teaching part and mental oral starters etc, but when it comes to actually sitting down and applying some of our knowledge I find myself resorting back to worksheets far more than I would like.
    Where possible, children generate their own numbers using cards/dice/spinners but even this is becoming very frequent and I am looking for more interesting ways of engaging children during their independant group work time. I dont struggle as much with shape/space/measure as there are lots of resources etc that can be used, but it is the number/calculation type concepts that I am struggling to make engaging.
    This week I need to teach finding the unknown in a number sentence, and number sequences. The only way I can think to get children to apply the skills is to complete a worksheet! Or to get them to copy sequences/calculations out into their books and continue them.

I just wondered if anybody had any nice ideas ?