1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Literacy lesson observation for interview

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Stann35, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Stann35

Stann35 New commenter

Hi I have a lesson observation as part of an interview on Wednesday. I've been told to plan a Literacy activity for a group of 3 or 4 children all who have ASC and additional needs lasting 20 minutes, I will have a TA3 and the levels are between P3 and 8. I was thinking of doing the story of the three little pigs with the end outcome being that they can sequence pictures of events. Although I am not sure whether to use finger puppets, make it sensory (e,g. use wood, straw, etc) and get the ch really involved using a drum to bang for the wolf and all blowing plus joining in the refrain. I only found out about this today and my mind is in overdrive. I have experience with ASC pupils but not within such a small group on P levels. Can anyone help of how best to approach this and the best use of the TA? I find it tricky not knowing the children.

Any ideas? Thank you.
    Anna

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Hi, Good luck. What is the chronological age of the children please? If they are very young it's a great idea and one they will have probably done a few times already.

I'd suggest you have a good look at the P levels to check just what a child working at P3 can do and understand. Someone working at that level will have difficulty understanding a single clear photograph so will probably find sequencing pictures a little too complicated. However, the children working at P8 should find it OK if the images are clear enough. I'd go very sensory with real objects and maybe some object - photo - picture matching for those that can manage pictures.

PM me if you'd like further support.

3. Stann35

Stann35 New commenter

Its a primary school and the children are grouped according to ability/need so don't know the age. I have been sent a pen portrait of the class which says they are working from P3-8 but don't know exactly which children will be in the group. I have got four small boxes with duplo for bricks, straw and sticks in so far!

4. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Yes, go sensory - it will make it more engaging.

You may find that the children can re-tell the story using the sensory items, e.g. by remembering that the next house was made of straw and picking up the straw to tell you. This may be more achievable than ordering pictures.

Have fun. The school will be looking at how you relate to the children, you do not need to plan an overly complicated lesson. Plan one you feel confident delivering and then you will have the headspace to respond to the children and enjoy their company as you go along.

Kind regards

Jo Grace

5. Stann35

Stann35 New commenter

Hi thanks for your help. I really enjoyed the lesson and it went well. I want so confident with the interview but they said they were impressed with my teaching and approach with the children and offered me the job!! Very excited!

6. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Welcome to "Special". I'm looking forward to being allowed to support you in the future.