1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Lent please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by asnac, Feb 21, 2020.

1. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I've decided this Lent (which starts on Wednesday) to give up meat. I'm not going totally veggie as I will still eat seafood. But my non-meat repertoire is largely limited to veggie chilli and pizza.

Any recommendations, anyone?

I enjoy cooking, I am happy to attempt complicated things, and I eat everything.

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Look at the selection of Quorn products in the supermarkets. I bought some spiced tofu from Morisons which was very tasty in a stir fry. There are lots of vegetarian and vegan options in the supermarkets now- have a browse and you will get some ideas.

asnac likes this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I prefer a burger with a grilled field mushroom and some grilled halloumi to a beef burger.

Curries with paneer, spinach and aubergine.

Roasted tomatoes make a delicious pasta sauce, just add more veg and cheese.

I could never go vegan. Vegetarian food is best with cheese!

asnac likes this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Muttar paneer - Indian cheese cubed and fried and added to a tomatoey spiced sauce with frozen peas.

Tofu can be cubed, tossed with a cornflour / oil mix and baked until crispy. Add to stirfries with a bit of sauce.

Chickpeas- lots of uses.

Aubergine have a good texture and can be the base of lots of meals.

Pulled jack fruit in a bbq sauce.

I can dig out recipe links for some of those if they appeal.

asnac likes this.
  5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lentils are wonderful and versatile. Red ones in dhal or soups or curries. Green or brown ones cooked with onions and garlic and served with veggie sausages or fish.

Pulses generally, actually. Butter beans, chickpeas, cannellini bean, yellow split peas. Chillies, stews, veggie shepherd pies, tagines, soups, so many things. And so satisfying you don't miss meat.

Cauliflower is highly versatile. Braise it, stew it, curry it, soup it, roast it, fry it. Pasta sauces, curries, etc .

Pasta dishes, stir fries, Mexican food, all make good use of veggies and no meat.

I'm not into quorn or tvp - I don't like the texture and don't see the point of it. I don't feel you need a meat substitute. I appreciate others do though. I love tofu, but I don't see that as a meat substitute. In the Far East, where it's eaten daily by meat eaters as well as veggies, it's just considered a versatile ingredient that happens to be a decent source of protein, rather than a meat substitute.

asnac and primarycat like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm with you on the Quorn @nick909. And with other fake 'meat'. If you want meat eat meat.
    And also agree with cauliflower.............I can eat the stuff all day!

nick909 likes this.
  7. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Thank you all for your suggestions. Never (knowingly) had tofu so off to Morrison's now to track it down. I'll be looking out for muttar paneer at the same time, and have always loved Mexican so will pursue this path too.

primarycat likes this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Just redo veganuary! Meatless lent left the well-to-do free to eat trout and other fine fish. A stew enriched with a bit of scrag end is far more penitential.

You could cut out cheese and eggs too.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Off for grilled fish by the roadside tonight. Pudding at home - mango and pineapple.

Tomorrow we're invited to lunch by a friend who's building up her own baking business. Her cakes are out of this world but it's npt easy to start up here.

primarycat likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

whoops wrong thread. Sorry.