1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for involving parents in music

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Shugster81, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Shugster81

Shugster81 New commenter

Hi everyone.
    I want to find ways to get parents involved with music next year and was hoping you guys would help by sharing some ideas.
    Open to ‘outside the box’ ideas

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

To begin you could send out a parent questionnaire to audit the music provision and ask them how they would like to be involved,

ViolaClef and sparklepig2002 like this.
  3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Find out if any parents are musical and if so, what could they offer the school? Composing on the computer experts, playing an instrument in assembly to spark off interest, talk about their job at their recording company etc. Ask if any would be willing/able to help with school choir, orchestra, recorder group etc.
    I am assuming your are primary, not secondary?

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I have often wanted to make a parent xylophone.

5. Shugster81

Shugster81 New commenter

Great ideas so far. Thank you. Yes, a primary school.

6. Shugster81

Shugster81 New commenter

What do you mean? Sounds interesting.

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Line up obnoxious parents of different heights and hit them with a large mallet.

8. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Have a ‘man-made meets natural’ music workshop if you have a nice forest school or woodland area in the neighbourhood.

Take a lot of clean recyclable containers, plastic, tins, pipes, jars etc...string, wool etc...and forage for sticks, stones, rushes, grass to weave together, water to fill the jars at different levels.

Join together the man made and natural to create music e.g. hang up different length sticks and pipes to tap, hang up jars of water, tap them to create sounds, make shakers or rain makers with stones inside, make wind-chimes, make drums, just be creative about making sounds, then maybe leave the non-breakable as a trail or have a few songs up the sleeve and bring it all together for a ‘performance’at the end.

sparklepig2002 and Shugster81 like this.
  9. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Sorry I’m on a roll! Get some confident parents to take turns to come in and introduce a few songs which they liked at different stages in their lives.

Maybe bring in records, cassettes, cds and play them to the children. Children could listen out for instruments etc...and maybe learn some of the songs.

This would be better for upper KS2, of course.

10. Shugster81

Shugster81 New commenter

Great ideas. Thank you so much. We’re right in the middle of a woodland so perfect!
    Also love the sharing music ideas

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

I've seen lots of outdoor music ideas at the local "city farm" probably worth an online search for similar set ups in your area.

12. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

With my parent head on - if this involves a room full of 6 year olds with recorders can we please just tick the parental involvement box, pretend it's happened and move on without inflicting it on us?!

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I hope your post was tongue in cheek and not a serious post.:D

Speaking as one who teaches recorders to 6 year olds, parental support and encouragement is so important. The parents all want their children to learn and the club is always over subscribed. . I make a plea at the beginning of the sessions that the children need to practice in order to make progress and consolidate what's taught each week. It is very obvious which children have parents who take an interest and help them and those who don't. :(

14. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'll be nice and smile once they get past the squeaky phase where they only know 2 notes!