1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for independent phonics activities for Y1/2-on Phase 2 of L+S

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by NQT1986, Feb 15, 2011.

1. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I wondered if any of you lovely Early Years folk could help me with ideas for independent phonics activities for my little lot?! We do lots of practical games and activites and plenty of role play/speaking and listening, but I struggle for ideas for independent phonics things for them to do as an activity whilst I (and the TA) are working with other groups.This is more for during some literacy lessons, as we already teach ability split phonics daily which is quite practical.

Can I be very nosy and ask if anyone has any good ideas I can pinch!?

Many thanks

2. I am surprised that you are asking about Phase 2 activities - are you not beyond this stage of introducing letter/s-sound correspondences with a Year 1/2 class?
    Are you not following a specific phonics programme with enough material for you to teach your class for daily phonics?

3. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

We are using Letters and sounds, but this is for my very bottom group. Most have only joined the class in the last few weeks (lots of traveller children who have not previously been to school) so they are much much poorer than the rest of the class.

4. Please email me and I shall send you some urgent resources.
    debbie@phonicsinternational.com

Try to re-think about the notion of playing games to teach your phonics rigorously! You need to have full sets of words of varying lengths to read, to spell and to write and this amounts to sitting with good posture, at tables, with paper and pencils!
    Then you should see some good results.

5. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

If they are all from the same traveller community, is it possible to build in to your phonics and reading work with them some vocabulary that is relevant to their every day life and culture?
    You may have some children who you can get reading in a very short space of time.
    This is an aside, with a smattering of relevance! I have a friend who started a literacy programme in a remote village in Africa where no-one could read the local language. She adapted Letterland for the local language, and also wrote some simple story books based on local traditonal tales which her own children illustrated. She and her children stayed in the village for a few weeks and set up a "learn to read" school, for all ages. Within weeks some had made absolutely huge progress.