1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for improving sentence structure

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by glitterkid, Feb 23, 2011.

1. hi all, hoping to pick some brains here!

I am workign with a group of children who have difficulty committing ideas to paper in proper constucted sentences. I have been doing 'jumbled' sentences activities using word banks created by the children, but am stuck for ideas on how to make this more interesting. the resources and online games I've found tend to ben pitched at too high a level, or focus on parts of speech. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

2. hi all, hoping to pick some brains here!

I am workign with a group of children who have difficulty committing ideas to paper in proper constucted sentences. I have been doing 'jumbled' sentences activities using word banks created by the children, but am stuck for ideas on how to make this more interesting. the resources and online games I've found tend to ben pitched at too high a level, or focus on parts of speech. Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Don't know what age and ability you are dealing with! Several of my resources might be applicable. Take a look at https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6061974 and some others (in the Special Needs set of resources).
    I love the Language Garden program too but you have to purchase a licence. You can trial it for free though! www.languagegarden.org

4. Thanks for your reply - should have said about age and ability - year five children, low ability. will take a look at your resources.

5. try googling "Colourful Semantics"

6. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Similar to "Colourfull Semantics". Make up a set of words on different-coloured card... let me try and remember:

Blue: articles
    Yellow: adjectives
    Orange: nouns
    Red: verbs
    Green: adverbs
    So you could make up a sentence that says "The beautiful bird flew quickly" or "An orange cat purred loudly" and so on. You can start off simply, just using BYO, then increase to BYORG, then for the more able include connectives and prepositions, or move the adverbial phrase to the beginning of a sentence and so on.

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

This sounds like a product with sets of plastic 'cards' and was called BROGY because that was the order the colours made possible sentences. The ideas were quite good and each set of word strips was associated with a theme such as sport/weather/seasons etc.and allowed for discussion about the possible combinations. Many children seem to miss out on the fact that a sentence must have the words in the order we say them when we speak and it must make sense! Some struggle with the concept 'sentence' including statements, questions and exclamations.