1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for improving pace in Y6 Reading Comprehension SATs please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Orchid8, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Orchid8

Orchid8 New commenter

This is my first year teaching Y6 and I have a real mix of abilities in my class, from L2 to L5. One thing they all seem to struggle with is actually completing an entire paper within 45 minutes. Many routinely finish about 2-4 pages from the end. We have studied the revision block on reading comprehensions and looked at the different levels of questions and have practised a few past papers so far. I give regular time prompts during the practice tests and emphasise the need for speed. Is there anything else I could be doing to help the kids improve their pace and stamina?

2. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I equip mine with a range of strategies depending on their personal preference. Some just stick to going through the paper, others choose to go through and answer all the 1 and 2 mark questions leaving the 3 markers til last, others choose to look through and identify the questions they think easiest.
    We also do a lot of practise at skimming, scanning etc "who can find...first"

3. Likewise, I have taken over the responsibility of Y6 literacy revision. My school has purchased the Success for All year 6 program which helps to breakdown the copy of question and what to do.
    We are also doing of timed challenges - reading the booklets in 15 minutes, practising answering the 1 point questions in 1 minute, 2 point questions in 2 minutes etc. This has really worked to improve the amount of questions answered.

4. Orchid8

Orchid8 New commenter

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!
    I had considered timing their reading to ensure they could complete the booklet within 15 minutes and will be practising this with my class.
    We have gone over the importance of speed in answering the 1 mark questions - although evidently this hasn't happened in practice. I will try out some strategies with the class such as answering all the 1 mark Q's first, followed by the 2 mark Q's etc, and let you know if I have any success with this.
    Thanks again!