1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for improving communication skills

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by BooTeach, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Hi,

Any ideas for story (preferably picture) books for keystage 2, that really lends itself to focusing on communication and language skills?

Many thanks in advance,

Boo. [​IMG]

2. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Bumping you up a bit. I'm sure it would be helpful for everyone to know ability level and age of the children.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

What were you going with?
    I'd use Handa's Surprise or Bear Hunt or Stone Soup.

4. Thank you dzil!
    Yes, I thought of Handa's Surprise, as I thought I could take in fruit etc. then get them to try and discribe the fruits as we go, looking for more interesting vocab, as I need to show progress. Then I thought they could describe and guess each others favourite fruits / foods in pairs to ensure there is some communication and interaction between them?!
    What do you think? Its a C&I Centre attached to a School, so I was worried that the book may appear to young (despite levels) for keystage 2 children? But my initial book had been 'Voices in the Park' by Anthony Browne, which I love and could unlock some good discussion about emotion, but it's hard to make sensory and it could be quite complex to follow couldn't it?!
    I really appreciate your help!

Thanks, Boo. [​IMG]

5. Ahhh, just read Stone Soup! That's lovely and lends itself to a similar activity...thank you! Is it a lesser known text? It would be nice to do something different to what the other candidates may do!
    Boo. [​IMG]

6. dzil

I think it's less well known. It's a traditional folk tale so telling it without the book could make it a little more age appropriate, but don't think it's necessary. It's brilliant for sensory work too. You could take in real vegetables and a pot (I have a cauldron that I got from a garden centre, but a big pan would do) You've got smells and touch and perhaps taste from the vegetables, weight with the stone, PSHE message... covers lots of bases... need to be very careful to keep to your lesson objective though!
    You'll find that naming vegetables and getting them to decide what to put in, what goes in next etc covers a lot of communication / literacy at the levels you need. Matching symbols and words to the real objects and / or sequencing a very simple picture version of the story will be about the right level for individual follow up work too. Or, of course "finding something that begins with ...." (say sound or show letter or both depending on the students level) covers phonics.

I love Anthony Brown's Voices in the Park. I've used it right up to KS4 with learners with SLD. There's so much to explore in the pictures. I think it may take too long for the length of your interview obs. to do it justice though. I find it takes me several lessons... usually one 40 minute lesson as an introduction with lots of "what do you think this is about, what's going to happen, lets explore the cover (picture on smartboard so they can't flip through the book), do you think you'll like it (vote by standing along a line with a big smile at one end and a big frown at the other type activities) then at least one lesson per voice.

7. Thank you so much dzil! I love your ideas, and absolutely agree that 'Voices in the Park' needs time to explore and could be a bit of a gamble really! Stone Soup has a lovely moral and lends itself to so much sensory activity and also description, sound work etc as you say! I have ordered the book (lots of versions aren't there!!) and am writing a shopping list and digging out my big cooking pot! Fun, fun, fun...I'll enjoy it even if they don't! hehe! But they will...it was a fab idea...thank you! [​IMG]

8. dzil

Glad to help!
    I'm sure you'll all enjoy yourselves!

9. For more improvement in your coomuniation skills, you must try to use that lanugauge in your general practice after learning. For example you have learnt a new word, then try to use that word in a sentence on the same day. In this way you will never forget the meaning of that word.
    I will advice you to prefer coaching rather than books. If you are lacking with time, you may opt for taking online classes too.

10. Hi dzil, I just thought I'd thank you...I got the job! I actually went with a different book in the end, called 'How are you Peeling? Foods with Moods', as I decided to really try and focus on emotional communication and literacy (because the more I looked into the organisation, I felt this was the kind of learning to focus on). But, despite the different book, brain-storming with you was a really useful process, lots of exciting ideas and I bought Stone Soup for future use...I'll look forward to it!
    Thank you! [​IMG]

11. dzil

Congratulations and welcome to special.
    Look forward to supporting you once you know your class!

12. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

Hello
    Two websites that you might find helpful are Black Sheep Press ( a communication skills website recommended to me by a speech therapist) and Forest Books which is a website which provides useful books about deafness (including books with deaf characters)
    Hope all goes well [​IMG]

13. Much appreciated! Thank you.