1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for immersive classroom - coal mining

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jdb75, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jdb75

jdb75 New commenter

tgis coming September our theme is 'coal mining', being a Yorkshire school it's a local topic and there's a wealth of information out there. We have to have 'immersive classrooms', for our medieval theme last year I turned my class into a castle. I'm really stuck for ideas on coal mining, any help? So far I though of having it as the forenam's office, with a board and checks for when they enter the room etc. any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

tally boards, uniform ,head gear, rules displayed and a grim surrounding.

Why don't you ask one of the mining unions. I would have thought some of the old miners and the unions themselves might be willing to help and advise.

3. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

Whereabouts in Yorkshire? You could visit the Yorkshire mining museum and look for ideas - it's just outside Wakefield. Barnsley museum has a few things as well.

What about creating a huge class banner - most mines had one that were displayed at rallies and marches.

4. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

How about a class canary?

5. Zoot

Zoot New commenter

This may be going off at a bit of a tangent but assuming that you spend some time looking at the process of coal formation, you could have a tropical theme with lots of trees and plants and then lower down the walls layer them so they form lots of grey and brown strata. (From the Carboniferous period onwards).

Also look at some of the ceramics produced in the potteries at the moment. They have great industrial landscapes running around vases and tiles eg. Moorcroft, Cobridge and the Burlem pottery. I do appreciate that these are not present day though.

At least your design and technology will be easy - lots of work using construction kits to come up with winches and pulley systems.

6. summlard

summlard New commenter

What kind of budget do you have for doing your classrooms like this?

Do people spend their own money?