1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for holiday activities in Northern France

Discussion in 'Personal' started by consonant, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Does anyone know this region? We are camping in Northern France in mid- April...courtesy of Tesco vouchers...but I haven't a clue what is good to see/do whilst we are there for our 4 day break! We haven't yet booked any sites so could go anywhere but I don't want to spend hours travelling so thought we'd stay within 60/ 100 miles of the Tunnel.
    Any ideas carefully considered and gratefully received! (I'm probably the only person on the planet who hates planning holidays!)

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

The trouble is that northern France is vast, and much of it is rather dull. If you take the motorway west from Calais, heading down to Rouen, you can be in Normandy within three hours. There you can visit Rouen, Giverny (Monet's garden), Honfleur (the most beautiful little port), various places of interest relating to WW2 if you hed a little further west. Normandy has a great deal to offer.
    Alternatively you could head towards Belgium and visit Ghent, Bruges, etc. We did a long weekend houseswap with a family who lived near Bruges when our kids were small. We left our house (SE London) and were having lunch with them in their home just after midday! We gave them our keys and they then set off to our place. We really enjoyed that break, visiting Bruges, Ghent, the coast, and a brilliant old Russian submarine at Zeebrugge.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

No idea what region you're in - but Oceanopolis in Brest is amazing!

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Always fun to be had with garlic-based activities in Northern France ...

5. Brest is a day away! But thanks for the thought! I think to head for Bruges is a good idea- thank you!

6. Well if you are going over to Bruges then also pop in to Ypres (Ieper) and visit the Menin Gate and if there's time go and have a look at some of the First World War Battlefields - very, very moving. Also anywhere in Belgium there is fantastic chocolate and beer to be had!

http://www.visitflanders.co.uk/go/destinations/ypres-intro.html

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Yes, I agree. I seem to remember we stopped off here on our journey home. Well worth the visit.
    Our long weekend in Belgium was over the Easter weekend - the beaches were lovely and sandy but there was a bitter wind.
    Our children really enjoyed the instruments of torture museum which is to be found in the dungeon of Ghent Castle.