1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for helping girls with maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. WB

WB New commenter

Does anybody have any ideas, stratergies or activities that will encourage girls in maths?
    Thanks

2. WB

WB New commenter

Does anybody have any ideas, stratergies or activities that will encourage girls in maths?
    Thanks

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

How old are the girls?
    I've just bribed one of my year 6s with a bottle of Barry M Nail Effects! She's always been terrified of maths and starting the year getting N on past papers. More recently she's been working at a low level 3. Since I started wearing the nail varnish she's been stroking it lovingly and pestering her mum (who is our dinner lady) to get her some. 1st day back after Christmas I promised her my spare bottle when she gets a level 4. Last paper we did she'd got up to 8 marks off a level 4. Told her the score and she turned round and said "better bring in that nail varnish miss, i'm going to get it!"

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I love that! My suggestion is rather pedestrian in comparism, I fear!
    I would get them to talk to their partners about their thoughts and solutions about WHY and HOW they tackled a particular problem. Girls find this easier than boys (though I do it with them as well) and benefit from the time and space to do so.
    On a more academic level, mathematics can be thought of as a form of communication so it's not such a strange idea as it first appears, hopefully!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

looking at the toys and accesories aimed at young girls..
    perhaps we should just dip all the resources in shocking pink paint!
    or base everything around Disney Princesses
    Rapunzel is next to get the treatment, so a worksheet on hair based questions and products