1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for helping a child with low self esteem.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucywag, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I am concerned about a child in my year 4 class. I would like to help her as she seems to have low self-esteem and views everything very negatively. She is a bit of a loner but often plays football at break and lunchtime with some boys in the class, so she does have friends. She is middle ability but finds school in general very difficult. She seems to find everything overwhelming and stressful and cries easily. Similarly, sometimes she wants to sit in a corner away from everyone else. Her mum is worried about her as she clearly has 'depressive tendencies' and apparently her father is the same. Her mum has also commented how much happier and more settled she is this school year than last.
    I have been speaking to my TA and partner teacher and we all agree that she needs some help, but the SENCO is not really interested, despite various people mentioning her over the last 12 months.
    What I am asking for on here, I suppose, is suggestions for the little things that I can do and that we can have in place for her to try to build her confidence and self-esteem whilst I keep pestering the SENCO for some sort of referral.
    Thank you in advance.

2. I am concerned about a child in my year 4 class. I would like to help her as she seems to have low self-esteem and views everything very negatively. She is a bit of a loner but often plays football at break and lunchtime with some boys in the class, so she does have friends. She is middle ability but finds school in general very difficult. She seems to find everything overwhelming and stressful and cries easily. Similarly, sometimes she wants to sit in a corner away from everyone else. Her mum is worried about her as she clearly has 'depressive tendencies' and apparently her father is the same. Her mum has also commented how much happier and more settled she is this school year than last.
    I have been speaking to my TA and partner teacher and we all agree that she needs some help, but the SENCO is not really interested, despite various people mentioning her over the last 12 months.
    What I am asking for on here, I suppose, is suggestions for the little things that I can do and that we can have in place for her to try to build her confidence and self-esteem whilst I keep pestering the SENCO for some sort of referral.
    Thank you in advance.

3. We have a very similar problem in our class. One thing we did with a girl that was really struggling with her confidence and self-esteem in relation to work was to give her a small bit of 1:1 time in the subject just to boost her...obviously this is only doable if you have an extra pair of hands. We also moved her down a set temporarily just to make sure that she had some of the basics more secured, then when we were confident that she could work more independently again we moved her back up.

As well as her with have another little one who is constantly saying how rubbish they are at EVERYTHING and will literally turn anything into an "I can't..." or "I'm rubbish at...". It has taken a lot and we are still working on it, but we've found that finding a positive and really focussing on it help. Small targets that are really manageable so we can celebrate the little successes. Trying to ignore some of the negative comments and only respond when they have started attempting the work etc. Several circle times where we ask children why the person next to them is a good friend etc. That way the compliments are coming from the children rather than us all the time. With this child the problem also stems from home...her dad is exactly the same!

Good luck! :)