1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for getting to know my Y3 class

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Aug 16, 2011.

1. In september I will be teaching Y3, I have not taught these before and technically going into my third yr of teaching I have not currently started at the beginning of a term with my own class (due to supply)
    What 'get to know u' activities should I do with them? ANy advice would be helpful?
    Miss H

2. In september I will be teaching Y3, I have not taught these before and technically going into my third yr of teaching I have not currently started at the beginning of a term with my own class (due to supply)
    What 'get to know u' activities should I do with them? ANy advice would be helpful?
    Miss H

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I never bother with this. Come in, sit down, rules / quick run around of names, done.

Usually my 'getting to know you' would consist of asking them to do a piece of independent writing! I just think you have all year to get to know them, and do you really need to know that they hate peas or that they have 5 cats?! I prefer to give a structured environment where the rules and boundaries are clear and get to know them by talking to them during playtime duty or PSHE sessions. Sorry if that's no help!

4. What sort of independent writing would you ask them to do?

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well depends on me, the topic we've got coming up, what I feel would be useful!

People often talk about doing a holiday write up, and I have done that although can be boring. Sometimes i'll take in a strange object and ask them to write about it, or i've played them a clip from the teachers tv site and asked them to continue writing. I just like to see what they can do on their own. Beats knowing that a child's favorite tv show is spongebob and they like chocolate cake ;)

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Agree wholeheartedly with Lillipad. By the time children get into Y3 they've lost countless days to 'getting to know you', 'settling in', 'all about me', etc activities. Add in the amount lost because their previous teachers thought the last couple of weeks of each term should be spent on 'fun' activities and you're getting some idea of why they're not making as much progress as you might want.

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Year 3 is also considered to be a 'transition year' and all sorts of things are said like "Oh it's taken them ages to settle in to Key Stage 2" and things like that, whereas in my school, you just move into the classroom next door! By the time you've made allowances for 'settling in' - how much time have you lost? Curriculum all the way!

8. As you teach they will get to know you and as they learn you will get to know them, so definitely start the curriculum asap and you'll find you'll achieve that which you would with any 'getting to know you' days and you have the comfort of knowing that you have got their learning off to a start right from the beginning of the year. Just ensure your lessons are pitched in the right style for them in their early Y3 days as they adjust to KS2. [​IMG]

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Open register
    Read out names
    Close register

job done[​IMG]