1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for focusing task at the beginning of a lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missh27, Jun 10, 2011.

1. For some of my sessions with my class, they are long slots (such as an hourand a half)
    Does anyone have any focusing activities i can do (obv quick ones), i havepreviously usedthe ' face in the coffee beans' one, but does anyone have any more?

Miss H

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ask them to listen to you and expect them to do it.
    Usually works.
    An hour and a half is only a long session if you're doing the same thing for an hour and a half. Otherwise, break it up into shorter activities. That way you don't need to waste any time doing focusing activities.

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

have a break half way through?
    Alphabet/hands up? ... Alphabet on board, undereach letter is L, R or B - left, right, both. As they say each letter, have to hold up required hand. Or is that too young?!!!!!

4. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Sorry - thought for some reason you were secondary, despite the Primary forum, and there was no edit button!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Split it into two lessons. That is what we mostly do. Generally an hour and then a half hour. Or for the two hour slots we do two one hour lessons.

6. it already is!!
    its guided reading then literacy, but i wanted a focusing activity after the transition from one lessson to another.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Buy 101 Red Hot Literacy Starters. There are lots and lots of ideas in there for great starters to literacy lessons. They do a maths one as well.