1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for first lesson GCSE retake students

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by penguindecay, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Hi,

Really struggling on thinking what to do with GCSE retake students for their first lesson.

Lessons are 1 hr 30 mins are here, and so far we have a introduction and get to know you part, and something on the importance of maths. I am not sure what to do next.

The second and third lesson are self assessed tests on a paper 1 and paper 2. The idea of not starting with these is that we didn't want to start with a test.

Any inspiration would be a great help!

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Five years of Secondary edutainment have led your students to this point. More of the same will not help them. They are there because they have committed to working so get them working. Start as you mean to go on otherwise you are wasting their time and yours.

3. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

I've always enjoyed the Handshaking Lemma. It gets the learners working with one another from the start. I taught in FE so they were always strangers to each other. It only failed once, when a man recently released from prison said he hadn't come to make friends. I've just added it to this collection, along with Mystic Roses, which is a graphical form of the same thing, should you not want the learners to be too active. www.tes.com/.../assorted-investigations-6268500

4. colinbillett

And they aren't there because they are committed to working - they are there because the government have said all learners must continue to study GCSE maths until the get a C, or grow too old to be in school.

5. Vince_Ulam

The government has said nothing remotely like this therefore that is not why penguindecay's students are studying for their resit, although it would be in character for some in FE to lie to their students and treat them as cash-cows. This assumes, of course, that anyone in FE knows what the government has said.

Handshake Lemma, indeed.

6. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

The government has said this and made it a condition of funding

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-maths-and-english-condition-of-funding

7. Vince_Ulam

8. colinbillett

This is what I did, and both me and the learners found it jolly rewarding, and educational.

Topic

Sequences and series

Learning Objectives

By the end of the module the student should be able to:

recognise and generate simple sequences of odd or even numbers

continue a sequence derived from diagrams

use a calculator to produce a sequence of numbers

find the missing numbers in a number pattern or sequence

find the nth term of a number sequence

use number machines

use the nth number of an arithmetic sequence

find whether a number is a term of a given sequence

Methods

PowerPoint introduction with questions for the learners to complete.

Worksheets for completion.

PowerPoint quiz for whole class.

Learning Strategies

Self-managed as soon as possible with little input from me. Maybe start with the handshaking lemma and a couple of questions to get to know one?s neighbour.

Nothing very difficult, apart from abstract generalisations which some may achieve and some not, but if we keep it to linear patterns then they should be able to appreciate them.

Resources

?Patterns? slideshow. What comes next quiz, or two. Multiple choice quiz ?sequences and graphs?. Mystic roses investigation on slideshow. Stick and dot pattern worksheets.

Patterns with matches slideshow. Patterns in squares with spreadsheet. Sequences and graphs quiz.

Class quizzes with answers on mini whiteboards.

Worksheets with shared answers.

Possibly a short exam paper to take home, from 2381.