1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for finger foods please

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by anon736, Jan 26, 2011.

1. My 8 month old was doing fantastically with weaning and had got to 3 meals a day. He was eating anything. However, he had a really bad bout of teething last weekend and now won't have a spoon in his mouth, but he is happier with finger foods.
    I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm really lacking inspiration - I've got batches of lovingly cooked food in the freezer that he won't now touch! We've tried strips of fruit, veg and toast, but what other finger foods do you give your LOs?

2. My 8 month old was doing fantastically with weaning and had got to 3 meals a day. He was eating anything. However, he had a really bad bout of teething last weekend and now won't have a spoon in his mouth, but he is happier with finger foods.
    I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm really lacking inspiration - I've got batches of lovingly cooked food in the freezer that he won't now touch! We've tried strips of fruit, veg and toast, but what other finger foods do you give your LOs?

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

What about rice cakes? They sell the Organix ones in Boots, Sainsburys etc and I think they're fine for an 8 month old. They also do crisps and things, but I think 8 months is probably too young for most of them. Crackers are also good with a bit of cheese on.
    If it's for meal times, what about things like fish cakes with veg?

4. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Spread your purees onto plain rice cakes or toast fingers or use as a dip for sticks of cooked veg such as carrot, green beans, asparagus. Cucumber might be worth trying for teething, nice and cool from the fridge. At 8 months you can try your LO on bought snacks,my baby loved Plum baby spelt biscuits from 6 months because they are hard but melt in the mouth, perfect for teething (available in Boots) and any other of their snacks from 7 months, Organix or Boots organic rice cakes with fruit flavour (which you can spread more fruit puree onto or mashed banana) are also good. Try giving a loaded spoon with yogurt on and see if LO will self feed.
    Good luck xx

5. Melon, bread sticks, sandwiches with butter cut into strips, pancakes, banana - my friend even roasted strips of parsnips for her son.

6. I second all of the above...roasted parsnips are yummy!
    My LO was very similar and refused to eat from the spoon from about 7 months so is entirely finger food fed apart from yogurt! Try the Annabel Karmel 100 favourite finger foods, I think it's called? Brilliant...some recipes are a bit OTT and I couldn't be bothered with ones that have 20 ingredients! But there are some fab ideas in there...wouldn't be without it now! Also the new Baby Led Weaning cookbook is great!

7. I use cooked vegetable, like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and swede.
    I love the cucumber idea!
    GEO

8. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

My LO LOVES roasted parsnip and sweet potatoes too.

9. Thanks for all the ideas ladies. I especially like the sound of fishcakes and spreading my purees on rice cakes. I'd also not thought of roasting strips of veg, so I'll give that a try too.

x