1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for exciting textiles projects?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by looloo123, Aug 4, 2006.

1. I know this has been asked before but Im am wanting fresh ideas! Am looking for exciting and innovative ideas for yr 7 and 8 for about an 8 week rotation.

I currently do:

Tie dye bags : yr 7
    Printed cushions : yr 8

Am bored after 3 years, and am a a new place sept so am wanting something exciting. I thinking about the Jenny Ridgewells Bottle Coats for yr 8 but ama bit worried about the cost implications.......

please post if you can think of anything

ta
    looloo xx

2. I know this has been asked before but Im am wanting fresh ideas! Am looking for exciting and innovative ideas for yr 7 and 8 for about an 8 week rotation.

I currently do:

Tie dye bags : yr 7
    Printed cushions : yr 8

Am bored after 3 years, and am a a new place sept so am wanting something exciting. I thinking about the Jenny Ridgewells Bottle Coats for yr 8 but ama bit worried about the cost implications.......

please post if you can think of anything

ta
    looloo xx

3. I'm just about to try the bottle coat with Year 9! I asked this years yr8 what they wanted to make (gave them suggestions) and this came out on top! I've been told the insultation is cheapest bought from B&Q! Gonna give it a go, haven't even made one yet, would love to hear from people who have!

4. CJL

CJL New commenter

The bottle coats are expensive and a high skill level is required in order to sew the circular base to the coat.Zips could be from a scrap store.

It does link fantastically with Healthy Schools.

I wouldn't attempt it unless you have Year 9 or above.It is a good way to incorporate some techniques for decoration with a Year 10 group.

It would probably be worthwhile testing wadding/ bubble wrap and alternative insulating materials.The Ridgwell insulating material is tricky to sew. I have found my walking foot great for shiny fabrics and even managed to sew a holographic plasticy film for a costume !

It is easiest to buy water bottles which are identical for the project.

JX

5. I've done a s.o.w and teaching package for mobile phone and mp3 covers aimed at year 7 or 8.If it interests you let me know and I'll email you the pack.

6. hi nutkins - I would appreciate your scheme of work if possible . Have done something similar as a kind of one off project, so would be nice to see something proper!

my email is clairelouise123@hotmail.com

tnanks a million
    Louise

7. No problem.I return in the uk on 14th August so will email it over to you then.It includes mood boards etc too,some were quite inspiring such as the ipod covers which are mini hoodies!

8. looloo123 I have posted the SOW and worksheets on the resources area of TES.THen anyone can use and adapt them to suit.

9. nutkins, i love your idea of the mobile phone project, becase im so stuck for an idea to do with yr 9.(im an NQT) ive got to write all of the SoW, and i know yr 9 might like to do something more hi-tech! I cant find your resources in the resourcebank, could you help me locate it pls?? Thank you

10. I don't think I uploaded it correctly.Will try again!

11. hi there that sounds like a good project ...would you be able to e mail me it at coolbabes3@hotmail.com

thanks -would be much appreciated¬!
    c.babe

12. You should have a look at www.threadless.com its a website were you can download a Tshirt template. There is also a comp on going on the site. i`m sure the creative minds out there could come up with somthing good

13. hi, ipod sow sounds great, please could somebody email it me at c.fennah@2003.ljmu.ac.uk would be much appreciated, thanks claire xx

14. I do Juggling bags with year 7 using 3 differnt decorative techniques for each bag. Beenie toy with year 8 where they decorate the fabric with a batik pattern they have designed them selves. Then with year 9 i do a patchwork/ quilting project where they can develop it in to a cushion, wall hanging or a bag am amazed hoe well the patchwork/ quilting project has gone down they love it and have some brilliant results. They aer 6 week projects so you do have to get things moving.

15. Nutkins

Spending some time going through the past months communications I fell upon yours re the mobile phone covers.It sounds good, but there is nothing that I can find on the resources part of the TES. If you are up to it I would love a copy - lanej@wardenpark.co.uk.
    In answer to looloo123 in year 7 I do a basic skills and fabric intro followed by a Noughties bow-tie task, with applique as the main method of surface decoration. We provide the fabric, all bright primary coloured cotton, easy to sew, press by running your finger along it etc. etc.I know it is not as exciting sounding as ipod covers, but it works.

16. Hi, sorry to be a pain, another request for the ipod sow, it does sound fab! I currently do a cushion covers yr7 drawstring bag yr8 and pencil cases yr9, would be great to re-vamp things a little bit.

my email is sallyalice@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks!

17. Hi, sorry to be a pain also, another request for the ipod sow, it sounds great! woven jewellery with yr7 and play cube with 7r8... would be great to have a change....
    my email is ging6450@hotmail.com
    Many thanks gemma

18. Having caught up with the latest postings I again would like to ask Nutkins to allow us access to this wonderful sounding SofW.
    What about putting it onto www.helenhudspith.com which has loads of other excellent resources for D&T, so that everyone who is asking for it can then access it.

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter