1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for dressing for a "do"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 13, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

The golfers can play in the Seniors from 50 I think but most of them are 65+ and some are 75+. Just being able to fit into a 12 does not solve all the problems believe me - my proportions are not always standard and I never buy stuff online for that reason - unless I know the brand really well. Going to make lunch and as the rain has stopped I think I'll hit our nearest shops - so that will give me Phase 8, House of Fraser, Mint Velvet, Laura Ashley for a start. I'd like something I could wear again which is why separates appeal and I don't feel that bothered about being a bit underdressed. Black trousers and a silk shirt would do it but the prices I've googled are a bit steep. LK Bennett is lovely but honestly!!! I'm 68 btw.

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’d just go with black evening trousers, which you’ve probably already got, and a dressy new top that would double up for wearing over Christmas or New Year parties too.

Wallis have 25% off Everything just for today and also have a free P&P.

edit: I put a link here but it didn’t work properly.

needabreak, lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'd go with black trousers and a dressy, maybe sparkly, top too. I'd spend as much as I could afford on the trousers - I think it really does make a difference to the cut and fit, and you'll wear them lots. Quite like the ones with a tuxedo satin stripe on the outside leg - gives shorties like me a bit of extra height. There are lots of party tops appearing in the shops now, so you should be able to pick up something you like. Happy shopping - it sounds like a fun afternoon to me!

lindenlea, Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Bit late probably now lindenlea, but hope you find something.
    I agree that separates, which you can add to / change in future 'dos' is the way to go. With a jacket which you can dress up / down with jewellery scarves etc. I like those bolero/ open front no buttons' type ones for 'dressy' occasions, rather than the 'classic blazer style' .
    I have a 'red' one when I feel brave and want 'to stun'
    a 'non-dressy' cream boucle one which looks fab with gold jewellery or a long black and cream chiffon scarf
    a classic navy one usually worn with silver jewellery
    which sees me through a variety of events.

BertieBassett2 and lindenlea like this.
  5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

If it were me I wouldn't go :)

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not going to formal events would be my default setting. However,I don't think i'll get away with that for step son's wedding. I was so hoping they would elope!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@bedlam Husband has now admitted he doesn't know if our friends are going so any shopping is now held off until we know for definite we're going. I'm not bothered either way but I don't want to go and sit with people I don't know. We did that the first year when we didn't know anyone but I'm not doing that now. So I'm not spending out until I know its definite.

Bedlam3, Jamvic, needabreak and 3 others like this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Or if you do see something suitable keep the receipt.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Text confirmed that two friends are going so as the rugby was over :( we both went in and I got a sparkly top in the sale from Phase 8 (£35) and velvet ankle grazers from M and S (£40) and with my high heels they look quite fancy enough for me. They will also go great with slippers on Xmas day and loafers for many a year to come.
    Thanks for your advice everyone. :):):):)

10. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I usually wear a strapless black sparkly number with a bustier to hold things in (an up), dahling.

primarycat, emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Of course you do :)

emerald52 likes this.
  12. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I bought a lovely pair of black evening trousers from Monsoon a couple of years ago and they have been a great buy. Material is a raised design like brocade. I’ve got a sparkly sweater from Sainsbury’s and a black lace top from a charity shop as options.

lindenlea likes this.
  13. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

Try Etsy.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I have a nice summer dress and a nice winter one. I've never felt the need to buy another one because I like the ones I've got and they're still in good nick. Am I missing something?

Ed: I would ALWAYS spend spare money on holidays and nice food rather than something I already have!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.