1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for dressing for a "do"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Oct 13, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Next month its the golf club Seniors awards dinner. I've worn both Phase 8 dresses twice (at least). Any suggestions. (Just realise gdw would be good at finding me something - get well soon shopping guru). I'm well into middle age with the shape that goes with it but can get into size 12 if the cut is right. Have got high heels in blue, black and brown which only get worn every Preston Guild but give me a bit of extra height. Lots of the women will be in strappy dresses but that's not what I want. I'd go shopping while the rugby is on at lunchtime but its peeing down with rain so I'm looking for inspiration here.

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I can relate to the first part of that sentence...

Lara mfl 05, Jamvic and lindenlea like this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Have you come across Brand Alley? It’s online and sells designer brands at reduced prices. Probably not this season, but stuff like Phase 8 is pretty classic. They do clothes, bedding, jewellery, shoes etc. It changes every day, so you have to keep looking, but they send emails daily (which you can unsubscribe from if you want).
    I’ve had some dresses, work out stuff, a Radley handbag, Christmas decs.

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Best thing is a simple black dress - no frills or fancies. Then for each do you just use a different shawl/stole/wrap/jacket/bolero and hey presto.

7. needabreak

Ah got carried away with the idea of Christmas... Love it and was inspired by the John Lewis Christmas dept yesterday...

lindenlea likes this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

One of my step son is getting married summer 2021. This has already sent me in a spin of "what on earth I am going to wear". I hate dressing up! Easy for my husband who will just have to pop in to whatever shop step son decides to get the kilts from.
    I will probably start a thread on here in due time.
    Good luck with the search for a dress.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"Ah got carried away with the idea of Christmas... Love it and was inspired by the John Lewis Christmas dept yesterday..."

Wash your mouth out, @needabreak! It's not half term yet, let alone Hallowe'en. Or Bonfire Night. Shame on you!;)

guinnesspuss likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Lead commenter

Can you give us an idea of what kind of thing you do want? Trouser suit? Dressy skirt & top? Maxi dress?

Lara mfl 05 and needabreak like this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Jamvic Skirt and top might work, trousers and top, dress no shorter than knee length, cut to flatter my middle. Not a full length dress.

Lara mfl 05, needabreak and Jamvic like this.
  12. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Phase Eight is my ‘go to’ brand for a posh do. Why not look on eBay for another of their dresses? Hobbs do well cut dresses too - can be pricey but again EBay is a great source. Monsoon is my favourite brand for everyday but they also do lovely posh frocks. Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 and lunarita like this.
  13. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Second the ebay recommendation.

People spend a fortune on a dress, wear it once and don't want to be seen in it again. You can get some excellent bargains.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. needabreak

Aww come on the sparkles on bonfire night are meters in the air and it's all about the planning... I will come clean and admit to having done my Christmas food order online (from last year's order) it works and takes the pressure off so I can relax and enjoy, just as it should be.

15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I enjoy wearing a jumpsuit but it takes some searching to find a flattering one.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It's just such a lottery buying clothing on eBay. I'm a FatFace 12 but I ordered a UK size 12 FF dress off there in the summer and I could hardly get my leg in it. Had the hassle of sending it back - thankfully the seller did refunds, but often they don't.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. needabreak

If others are in strappy dresses it does indicate an eveningwear/cocktail dress style and dresses look shorter on models, while age is just a number and frankly if you are size 12 you can pretty much wear anything (depending on your height and extent of reveal), the only thing that would prohibit my last offering is price... But I'm worth it :D

Out of interest how old is senior? 50?60?70?80?90?

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

A classic black dress with perhaps a sequinned jacket? Safe, yet dressy because of the sequins...

Lara mfl 05 and Aquamarina1234 like this.
  20. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 likes this.