1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for displaying print in the outdoor learning area

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jenniehi, May 1, 2011.

1. Hi i wonder if anyone can help me please? My husband is currently undertaking a design module as part of his OU engineering degree.
    The module is about desiging a sustainable product. After years of watching me laminate a range of print (signs, words, sentences, numbers) to display in my reception outdoor learning area for them only to be quickly ruined by the rain or blown away by the wind, he would like to develop a piece of equipment that enables busy EYs teachers to not have to keep remaking the same displays etc.
    EYs practitioners, this is our chance to develop a piece of equipment to save us time and help our pupils have lots of exposure to print when they are in the outside learning environment. Your comments would be REALLY helpful.
    At the moment, his current ideas are:
    1) to develop a child-proof / safe range of A5, A4 and A3 display cases where the front can be opened and you can easily put in new print sources whenever you like (e.g.to reflect a change of role play area / focus of garden area, etc). The plastic front of the case will protect the print on paper from the elements. The cases could be fixed to walls, fences or perhaps mounted onto fixed posts or moveable cones.
    2) a range of metal discs could be fixed to walls, fences or again onto fixed posts or moveable cones. The metal discs remain in place and there could be a range of magnetic signs that can be used at different times for different topcis or focus areas (e.g. develop a set of magnetic numbers, letters, high frequency words etc)

As with all design ideas, potential users opinions are invaluable so if you get a min any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

2. Hi i wonder if anyone can help me please? My husband is currently undertaking a design module as part of his OU engineering degree.
    The module is about desiging a sustainable product. After years of watching me laminate a range of print (signs, words, sentences, numbers) to display in my reception outdoor learning area for them only to be quickly ruined by the rain or blown away by the wind, he would like to develop a piece of equipment that enables busy EYs teachers to not have to keep remaking the same displays etc.
    EYs practitioners, this is our chance to develop a piece of equipment to save us time and help our pupils have lots of exposure to print when they are in the outside learning environment. Your comments would be REALLY helpful.
    At the moment, his current ideas are:
    1) to develop a child-proof / safe range of A5, A4 and A3 display cases where the front can be opened and you can easily put in new print sources whenever you like (e.g.to reflect a change of role play area / focus of garden area, etc). The plastic front of the case will protect the print on paper from the elements. The cases could be fixed to walls, fences or perhaps mounted onto fixed posts or moveable cones.
    2) a range of metal discs could be fixed to walls, fences or again onto fixed posts or moveable cones. The metal discs remain in place and there could be a range of magnetic signs that can be used at different times for different topcis or focus areas (e.g. develop a set of magnetic numbers, letters, high frequency words etc)

As with all design ideas, potential users opinions are invaluable so if you get a min any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks