1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for developing speech and language skills for reception child?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by cleocleoteacher, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ok,I think this will be a tricky one! The little reception girl came around today and the parents want me to start tutoring her. She was quite manic jumping on the sofas, wondering around so I am worried about her being able to concentrate much, Hopefully, she will be a bit better when the parents aren't there. I suggested 45 minute sessions but they want an hour so I'll see how she gets on but might have to suggest it again if it's not working out.
    Anyway, it turns out that they want speech and language tution really, and the dad said talking to her and new vocab. English is her second language and her English is limited, she is not really saying whole sentences and uses jesters to get you to do what she wants eg put something down. Apparently, she is up to the right level with everything else! This is tricky and especially tricky to do for one hour, so I think I will definately mix it in with some maths and threading and pattern and drawing work too.
    Any suggestions?
    I was thinking of reading books together, discussing the story, the characters,pictures and what's happening, stickers in sticker books, computer work, re-telling stories, pictures and getting her to describe her picture, making sentences.

2. Ok,I think this will be a tricky one! The little reception girl came around today and the parents want me to start tutoring her. She was quite manic jumping on the sofas, wondering around so I am worried about her being able to concentrate much, Hopefully, she will be a bit better when the parents aren't there. I suggested 45 minute sessions but they want an hour so I'll see how she gets on but might have to suggest it again if it's not working out.
    Anyway, it turns out that they want speech and language tution really, and the dad said talking to her and new vocab. English is her second language and her English is limited, she is not really saying whole sentences and uses jesters to get you to do what she wants eg put something down. Apparently, she is up to the right level with everything else! This is tricky and especially tricky to do for one hour, so I think I will definately mix it in with some maths and threading and pattern and drawing work too.
    Any suggestions?
    I was thinking of reading books together, discussing the story, the characters,pictures and what's happening, stickers in sticker books, computer work, re-telling stories, pictures and getting her to describe her picture, making sentences.

3. Is she delayed in her first language as well. Sounds like she is developing well if she is using non verbal communication in the form of gesture, However, I would steer the parents towards a qualified speech and language therapist (lists at www.rcslt.co.uk) for an assessment - that way you and the parents will have an understanding of where she needs work. There will be salts who are used to assessing children with ESL.
    There are some great speech and language resources on the tes site.

Hth - just my humble opinion....

4. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

How about using some Jolly Phonics? The scheme is available online and through the Early Learning Centre (if you aren't familiar with it). It is a multisensory approach to learning phonics sounds through speech, actions, writing, creative activities such as cutting and sticking and painting as well as songs, so it could be fun to dip in and out of, and help to lighten that long hour!