1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for cross-curricular links for year 5 and 6 Shakespeare topic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ajacobs, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a topic on Shakespeare for years 5 and 6. Apart from the obvious Literacy and drama links and links with Tudor history - I'd really like some ideas for art, geography, DT, ICT etc...
    Thank you.

2. Hi,
    I wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a topic on Shakespeare for years 5 and 6. Apart from the obvious Literacy and drama links and links with Tudor history - I'd really like some ideas for art, geography, DT, ICT etc...
    Thank you.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Geography, bird-eye view maps of stage sets, which then illustrate in Art and make up with shoe boxes, plasticen or junk models actual stage sets for DT. Research stage sets in ICT of course. Could also do costumes for Art/ sewing.
    You've probably already thought of Biography/autobiography for Shakespeare and you could look at the area around where Shakespeare lived and went to school. then you could have a hot-seating activity.
    I think it's probably best to just look at 1 or 2 plays and the choice will depend on your own preference and your class. But do look at modern versions- they're too young to be looking at lots of Shakespearian language, odd phrases but not whole chunks of plays. Then that would indicate the theme you might wish to develop. e g Macbeth & Midsummer Night's Dream would lead to Magic and Mystery/ whereas Julius Caesar would lead to Romans (Italy for Geog) and betrayal.

4. For ICT/Shakespeare I got them to:
    • design a programme for the play - casting their favourite celebrities as the character;
    • devise a spreadsheet model for teh costing of tickets for the production;
    • create a database of the characters e.g. Name, description, motive (for murder etc) like CSI, Description etc.
    • design production flyer.
    • create video/audio trailor;
    • record character video/audio/blog diaries;
    • create animated versions of scenes.
    • Summarise the plot in a text message

5. Music/ pe: tudor or country dance; this always surprises me as the kids love it!

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Get in touch with the Globe theatre - bet they have loads of ideas. It's an interesting building, so you could get your DT in there somehow?

7. Thank you, some ideas to get me thinking.

8. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Oh yes, and Tudor music - pavanes and that sort of thing.