1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Clubs

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by ictLad, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

After my previous post I have resolved to get a comuting/ict club running at least once a week after school (its primary purpose is to instil an interest in taking computing/ict at gcse). So I guess really ill be aiming it at the year 9's. But the problem is what to do it in? I ran a club after school on flash in my previous school but beyond simple tweening there were a great many pupils who got confused at a rapid pace with how complex flash can become in a short space of time. Has anyone got any ideas - ideally want something that has a gentle learning curve but has plenty of scope for depth of learning. I have done a bit of scratch with a class of mine and enjoyed it but dont want to necessarily do something I already do in class. In an ideal world I think I would want to do mobile phone app programming but not sure how viable that is as our network is problematic to say the least. Anyone got any good suggestions.

2. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

After my previous post I have resolved to get a comuting/ict club running at least once a week after school (its primary purpose is to instil an interest in taking computing/ict at gcse). So I guess really ill be aiming it at the year 9's. But the problem is what to do it in? I ran a club after school on flash in my previous school but beyond simple tweening there were a great many pupils who got confused at a rapid pace with how complex flash can become in a short space of time. Has anyone got any ideas - ideally want something that has a gentle learning curve but has plenty of scope for depth of learning. I have done a bit of scratch with a class of mine and enjoyed it but dont want to necessarily do something I already do in class. In an ideal world I think I would want to do mobile phone app programming but not sure how viable that is as our network is problematic to say the least. Anyone got any good suggestions.

3. <font size="2">How about a Podcasting club that could be run over a few months and produce a number of different reports about what's going on in the school? This can then can be posted on the school's website.</font> <font size="2">You could have a team of 'editors' and 'roving reporters' creating content for the podcasts.</font>

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Video editing.

Start by using existing footage, maybe lifted off YouTube using keepvid.com, then eventually get students to create their own films. One project I tried was 'Silent Movie' - you film a Charlie Chaplin type tale then add effects, appropriate music, little caption panels with scrolly borders and so on to give it an old silent movie feel. The advantage of silent is you don't have to worry about sound quality if using small digital cameras to capture the film.

Just a thought anyway.

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

That's why you gotta love these forums, fabulous idea, going to adjust my y8 SoW in the next couple of weeks. Cheers. Don't suppose you have appropriate links for music do you?

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Free Music can be found here. (Not the exact site I used but very similar).
    Try an image search on 'silent movie frame' (or 'card') for caption panels. You could always erase existing text.
    Another advantage of a silent movie project is that it makes the students focus on the visual aspects of trying to create meaning, and how you convey in gestures or expressions what you can't say with speech.

7. ictLad

ictLad New commenter

Some excellent ideas here, thank you. However at the moment they mainly feel like they are aimed at the ICT end of the market, which is fine, but also want something for the student who might be interested in the computing side of things too.

8. Scratch, Alice, GameMaker, Flash. Loads of resources out there.

9. I did a programming club using Visual Basic and one using Javascript. Quite fun in both years!

10. How about entering Animation11.

11. An excellent idea! We've got some great flash artists in Y10 so I'll point them in the direction of the website...

12. Jessy1234

Jessy1234 New commenter

You could ask them to create leaflets, posters and tickets for school events , ask them to create a website on the club, add a blog and learn how to design sites using colour, imagery , typography and content. One useful skill to learn is team work. Perhaps you can ask them to create a newsletter as a team. Team working is a good skill to have.

There is plenty of things to do.

13. Are you serious?

14. Here is an ambitious club for you. Blender 3D is open source to create 3D model for games and animation. This is right up my street however I would say that you <u>really </u>need to practice this one before allowing anystudents to anything and you need computers with high end graphics cards and 4GB of RAM. Do not worry about the rendering as it is an achievement to make a TV screen and then use an animation as a texture that they can make themselves.
    Blender also has video tutorials.