1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for clay and no kiln?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by legoearth, Feb 12, 2012.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

I have loads of clay in my cupboard at school left to me by a lovely teacher a few years ago. THEN we had a kiln. It broke down and before I could get it repaired it was removed and an office put in it's place[​IMG]but that's another story.
    Anyway I have about 40 + kilos of clay and all the glazes and paint. I have contemplated trading with the local secondary school for something we could use. I run an after school A&T art and dt group (mainly yr6 ). I would love to use the clay though! I have looked at wood firing briefly but can't see the head letting me have a fire pit in the grounds although there is plenty of room for one. Has anybody actually tried this? I couldn't do anything too elaborate! I've made coil pots during greek week but obviously they are just crumbling after air drying!
    Any ideas or experiences please[​IMG]
    I've posted this in art and design but it's not as busy as here!

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

I have loads of clay in my cupboard at school left to me by a lovely teacher a few years ago. THEN we had a kiln. It broke down and before I could get it repaired it was removed and an office put in it's place[​IMG]but that's another story.
    Anyway I have about 40 + kilos of clay and all the glazes and paint. I have contemplated trading with the local secondary school for something we could use. I run an after school A&T art and dt group (mainly yr6 ). I would love to use the clay though! I have looked at wood firing briefly but can't see the head letting me have a fire pit in the grounds although there is plenty of room for one. Has anybody actually tried this? I couldn't do anything too elaborate! I've made coil pots during greek week but obviously they are just crumbling after air drying!
    Any ideas or experiences please[​IMG]
    I've posted this in art and design but it's not as busy as here!

3. Sorrim

Sorrim Occasional commenter

What about your nearest high school? We used to do that with our pottery but we were fairly close. They were only too pleased to help!
    Sorrim x

4. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Phone your local radio station and ask for them to put a call out for use of someone's kiln. Lay it on thick about having lots of clay to use up but no funds to replace kiln etc. We have used the radio before for scrounging purposes and it's always a winner. Good luck.

5. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Love this! My club is based on an environmental ethos,re-cycle/scrounge unwanted stuff for our art.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

We were shown on our PGCE how to make a kiln using bricks in a hole in the ground...a friend of mine convinced her head to let her do it ON PLACEMENT! I don't think it should be dangerous as long as the kids are told to stay away and you do it somewhere secluded or where they're not allowed - not in the middle of the playground lol.
    I think you build up a cube of bricks, put a load of newspaper in, wrap the pots in newspaper and set fire to the lot.

7. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

WOW! Sounds like my kind of thing! I've looked at a few sites that give instructions on building a kiln that seem similar to this. We are lucky that although we are deep in the west midlands we have a massive playing field so it would be easy to find a secluded spot. Just need to get around our delightful site manager and our genuinely lovely but health and safety/risk assesment obsessed head! I supose I could always bring the pots home and do it in the back garden!! I'm getting all excited now!