1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Bruschettine please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Dec 29, 2011.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Hi all on cookery & Happy Christmas!
    I received a yummy hamper as part of my Christmas present and in it were lots of M&S goodies. One of these is a box of Bruschettine described as crispy bruschettines sliced from ciabatta loaves enriched with extra virgin olive oil. I also received a small jar of black olive tapinade.
    What shall I do with them? Have some friends coming around tomorrow so could serve them up as a starter but they are extremely crunchy! Will the tapinade on top soften them a little? I don't really want to waste them as croutons for soup. I know I can make some 'oils' for them to be dipped in and I could get some belinis for the tapinade. Are there any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Cummon guys - dont let me down now!

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'd just use them as a normal base to bruschetta. Personally, I like a mixture of grilled artichoke hearts, cured Ham and a good-quality buffalo mozzarella.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

bruschetta should just be grilled bread drizzled with oil and with a smear of garlic, but the UK seems to use this word to describe crostini.
    Traditional toppings for crostini would include:
    • fegatini - chopped chicken livers sautéed with garlic and whizzied, then stir a spoonful of capers and a beaten egg into the mix before grilling
    • anchovy fillets with green olives
    • prosciutto and mozzarella as EG says
    • artichoke hearts or braised fennel
    • mushrooms (ideally porcini, but portabella make a reasonable substitute)
    • unsalted butter and tapenade go well together, too
    • I also like leek ribbons sautéed gently in butter with a splosh of vermouth
    I presume you mean blinis as your suggestion for the tapenade: personally I would imagine the texture of a blini would be at odds with the extreme saltiness of the tapenade - but they work with caviar, so why not? My personal fave for tapenade is crusty bread and unsalted butter.

5. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Yes you are right they are more like crostini - thanks for ideas but probably a bit ambitious for me.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

And if anyone can help with a gravy that is too salty that would be really helpful too - I probably used to much stock cube/jelly!!!

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Add some slices of potato to absorb some of the excess salt. You can take them out and use them for something else later so long as you don't let them get cooked to a mush and become an intrinsic part of your meal.