1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for books to brush up on KS2 numeracy

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, May 12, 2011.

1. Really?

2. Somehow I can see this thread not going too well[​IMG]

3. Noddingviolet may have had in mind using number lines for division, addition, subtraction etc. If you are used to doing column addition/subtraction and short/long multiplication and division, using a number line may seem a bit odd, especially if you have only seen it as a statement without an example.
    As for books, no real suggestions I'm afraid - only thing I can think of is if you go to a largish bookshop and see whether any of the study/revise at home books are any good for what you want, as they often have a recap of the techniques as well as examples and practise questions. You may find you have more luck posting on the primary board (if you haven't already) as I believe that most of the people on this forum are connected with secondary rather than primary (florapost and robyn are two exceptions that spring to mind)

4. Try Derek Haylock (maths explained for primary teachers i think). I heard him speak a while ago: very good, solid, no nonsense! The book's the same.
    I'm not sure why you'd be familiar with number lines unless you were young or in education[​IMG]

5. KYP

KYP New commenter

Hi,
    Have you heard of the NCETM? In particular, they have a lot of on-line self evauation materials, such as here: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/Default.aspx?page=40&module=sa&saareaId=1.
    You may need to join the NCETM community to access that page: https://www.ncetm.org.uk/ has a link to registering.

6. I would recommend "Mathematics Explained for Primary Teachers (4th Edition)" by Derek Haylock (ISBN 978-1-84860-197-0)
    Another, much older, book which was first published in 1970 is "Primary Mathematics Today" :) by Elizabeth Williams and Hilary Shuard (ISBN 0-582-08357-5) . You can pick up a second hand copy from an online bookstore for 1p plus P&P and it is a treasure trove of ideas, rigorous mathematics and background information.

7. No, sorry.
    As for materials:
    Second hand GCSE foundation book on amazon or ebay from about 10 years back will suffice and cost about £3-4 or even a revision guide.

8. mathman64

mathman64 New commenter

I would recommend you look at "Maths for Mums and Dads" by Rob Eastaway.

9. I would second the above recommendation. 'Maths for Mums and Dads' by Rob Eastaway and Mike Askew is the best, readable introduction to current maths thinking.
    Then I would recommend Derek Haylock (again already mentioned) as a 'manual' for looking things up as you go along. There is an accompanying website and CD with the newest edition with examples etc.
    Would also recommend - again as already mentioned - the ncetm self evaluation tool. Particularly good as it gives examples.
    Well done you for putting in the work beforehand. As someone who works in ITT, it is lovely to see someone doing the research prior to starting.

10. Ooh - and 'Teaching Number Sense' by Julia Anghileri might be worth keeping an eye out for too.