1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for baby snacks

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by kittenmittens, Aug 9, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

My nearly-8 month old LO has just decided she doesn't want her last remaining daytime bottle and my HV suggested I replace it with a snack. A typical day's food is:
    6-7am- Wake up, 8oz milk
    8am- Breakfast- banana porridge with whole milk, finger of toast with butter
    10am- Snack (until today she took 4oz milk at this time)
    12.30- Lunch eg pureed beef casserole with veg and potato, fromage frais
    3pm- Snack
    5pm- Tea eg cauliflower cheese, fruit puree pot
    6.45- 8oz milk then bed at 7pm

Snacks I've given so far are baby biscotti, raisins, stick of cheese to chomp on, rice cakes. Any more ideas? Should I avoid giving too much fruit?

2. kittenmittens

My nearly-8 month old LO has just decided she doesn't want her last remaining daytime bottle and my HV suggested I replace it with a snack. A typical day's food is:
    6-7am- Wake up, 8oz milk
    8am- Breakfast- banana porridge with whole milk, finger of toast with butter
    10am- Snack (until today she took 4oz milk at this time)
    12.30- Lunch eg pureed beef casserole with veg and potato, fromage frais
    3pm- Snack
    5pm- Tea eg cauliflower cheese, fruit puree pot
    6.45- 8oz milk then bed at 7pm

Snacks I've given so far are baby biscotti, raisins, stick of cheese to chomp on, rice cakes. Any more ideas? Should I avoid giving too much fruit?

3. I give my lo dry cereal for a snack e.g. cheerios - must say they are pretty yummy and not too messy! My book also says toast, crumpets, fruit, homemade not-sugary cake like banana bread etc. x

4. We do * a lot* of fruit in our house - satsumas, blueberries, grapes, etc.
    - babybel cut up into chunks
    - small yogurt
    - pancakes
    - pitta bread strips
    - like above poster, we use dry cereal - cheerios are a big hit with LO.

Although my little man is an eating machine he seems to eat enough at mealtimes to not need a snack in the am. I do give him something in the pm though. And if I dare to eat something myself he always gets a crumb.

5. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

We give fruit (grapes are particularly popular!), fruit toast, babybels, breadsticks, yogurt, cheerios, baby biscuits, rice cakes, bagel halves, Organix crisps... Hope that helps! X

6. We give all of the above, often a yoghurt as she loves them and they are filling and have the calcium that a milk feed would have. Also, dried apricots, bread sticks dipped in philidelphia or hummous, cold plain pasta twists- sounds horrible but if we have any left over I put it in a little tub in the fridge and she loves it! We have loads of fruit too, I don't think it's a bad thing.

7. We can't do too much fruit as we get very runny nappies! But I roast up a whole load of veg and then give chunks cold- carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes etc. Or plain biscuits, baby snack things or cereal are favourites.

8. kittenmittens

That's really helpful, thank you!

9. Ooh, LO loves breadsticks, will have to get him into dips!

10. kittenmittens

Although my little man is an eating machine he seems to eat enough at mealtimes to not need a snack in the am.
    I didn't really want to give 2 snacks a day but my little girl is only 14lbs 6oz at nearly 8 months old, so her tummy is too tiny to take a huge amount of food at mealtimes. I've seen the amount some of her larger friends eat (which is obviously fine as they need it) but she can't manage a big portion, also I'm a bit of a snacker and I feel mean having a biscuit or something and not giving LO anything!
    We have tried some of the ideas mentioned, cereal pieces and cucumber sticks have gone down a treat x

11. I have always gone by the rule of roughly two hours between food. A baby/toddler does usually need a snack in the am so don't worry about giving it- their tummies are tiny, like you say, and especially when they start moving about- they are using so much energy. So, breakfast roughly 8 am, snack roughly 10 am, lunch roughly 12 pm then snack after afternoon nap which can be any time from 2.30-4ish (if the latter then she will only have a small snack) then dinner between 5 and 6. I also think- if I'm hungry, she must be, and I usually am, hahaha! My body clock is still in school's routine ;-)

12. Ah, my LO still has a morning bottle at 7.30, and breakfast is later at 9.30. it's not much of a gap between that and his lunch at 12 ish so I don;t mind he doesn;t have a morning snack. He has a snack after nap time (ha! that suggests it's a regular thing!) about three, dinner at 5.30 and bottle at half seven.