1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for BA Hons (advanced early years) dissertation - PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by baileyblade, Aug 1, 2007.

1. baileyblade

baileyblade New commenter

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any ideas for a focus for a dissertation (advanced early years).

I haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks

2. baileyblade

baileyblade New commenter

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any ideas for a focus for a dissertation (advanced early years).

I haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks

3. Hi

My degree was in early childhood studies, so quite similar. Think about what types of early years settings that you have access to. I was the unit leader of a baby unit in a day nursery so found it best to base mine there. What interests you in the field of early years? Just remember that your initial idea may evolve and change drastically. However, i would say that whatever you do it on has to really capture your interest as you will live, eat and breathe the dissertation. Read academic journals for current issues. Mine was 'An investigation into preverbal babies engage with adults in a daycare setting'. I got an 86 so any questions just ask!!

4. Hi I have also just cmplete an early years ba hons my dissertation was 'practitioners' perceptions of the Rose Report and it's impact on the teaching of early reading' I too got a 1st, helps if your interested in how young children acquire early reading skills. Several people on my course looked at gender issues in education for example by setting up 2 differny home corners and looking at which children used them and how they used them- I think one student set up a garage and then a hairdressers. Hope this helps.

5. Hi, just a few random ideas to get you started:

Toy Libraries
    Sure Start Children's Centres: Engaging with hard to reach parents or something on the socio-psychological side
    Birth to 3 Matters or Every Child Matters framwork
    Benefits of Jabadao or Heuristic Play

hope these help as a starter

6. Have you come across the Reggio Emilia Approach at all yet? If so I wanted to look at this in comparrison to our Early Years system. My dissertation ended up being focused on 'How do practitioners listen to children'. This was becuase I drew points from the reggio approach and observed how practitioners in england did simular things. You have to be careful when comparing different world approaches to our early years as sometimes they are not transpotable and often too heavily culturally bound.....hope this make sense.