1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for appraisal target

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by -myrtille-, Oct 31, 2015.

1. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

Hello,

I know today is normally the deadline for reviewing and setting appraisal targets, but my school has given us an extension of a couple of weeks due to teething problems with the online system we use for this.

I've had a meeting with my HoD to review last year's targets and they have signed them off on the basis that all agreed actions were taken (despite the numerical target for pupils getting A*-C not being met). We now need to agree targets for 2015-16.

One target has to be based on pupil progress (I'm working out the number carefully based on what I think is achievable for my class) but I'm not sure what I want my other target to be. Our meeting was quite rushed so we didn't get as far as figuring one out, so I would like to draft it myself and send it to my HoD to reduce pressure on them as they have a million and one things to do.

I'm in my 3rd year of teaching so this is only the 2nd time I've had to set appraisal targets. Last time, my target was to produce the Scheme of Work for Year 9.

Am I right in thinking I can't just set it as something that's going to happen anyway? For example, I'm setting up my own trip abroad this year, which is obviously a big thing, but I've already started work on it and the trip is taking place in March, so I'm guessing I can't use this?

Another thing would be to attend training on the new GCSE specification (when one gets accredited!) and feed back to the department, but I doubt I can do that because the HoD or 2nd in department will probably be doing it instead.

Any ideas/inspiration would be gratefully received as I just don't know what sort of thing is expected, and my HoD is really stressed so I'd rather not put it all on them to come up with something for me.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I can't see any reason why you can't put your trip in - you have still got quite a bit to do to make it successful. I have even managed to sneak in a job I had almost finished during gained time the previous term! As for other targets, it is hard to advise. What do you want to achieve this year? E.g. prepare a course you have not taught before, or some new piece of tehnology, or study a particular aspect of teaching and learning and report back to your department. Or something on your school's VLE? If you can find things that you really want to do, it will make the next year much easier.

3. -myrtille-

I only need one more target (we have 2 targets, one of which is progress based).

I feel like this target-setting is rather pointless because it's basically just a case of writing down something I'd do anyway. I do loads of stuff (eg: producing resources and assessments which are used across the department, finding new apps and websites to use in class) just as a matter of course, so it hadn't occurred to me that I could make something so everyday into an appraisal target.

I'll ask if I can use the trip or maybe work it into a wider objective of increasing pupils' engagement with authentic target language culture. I could produce a bank of resources (video clips, authentic articles/web pages etc.) to make sure there's something authentic to do with France/French-speaking countries in every topic of the SoW.

Thanks for helping me see that I don't need to overcomplicate things. :)

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Don't agree a numerical target for progress. They are not valid.

http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.co...-thing-as-expected-progress-for-an-individual

Performance Related Pay in education has frequently been linked to narrow measures of pupil performance rather that of teachers. Many refer to levels of 'expected progress' which can't be applied to individual children, or to class-sized groups of children. Many teachers, however, have PRP targets which are framed in this way. Since individuals and their classmates can, quite reasonably, be expected to perform very differently to the mean of a national population, statistics for mean outcome of population groups tell us very little about expected outcomes for individual pupils.

And http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/problematic-performance-related-pay

agree on targets which will make you a better teacher. Ask for time to pursue a particular interest, whether that be a collaborative project or a piece of research you might wish to do. If you want training in a particular area, make that your performance target. Avoid anything which could be subjective. Either you did a project or you didn’t, you undertook research or you didn’t, you got training or you didn’t. Aim for did/didn’t, and leave no room for opinion.'

I’d stand by that. There is no requirement within the statute or guidance which means that any teacher should accept an appraisal target which links their teaching directly to any numerical target. You need to contribute to ‘improving the education of pupils’ and the school’s plan for improvement of ‘educational provision and performance.’, which, unless you’re in some kind of Capability process, you are clearly doing already.

Ziggy100 likes this.
  5. -myrtille-

I completely agree and have argued at every available opportunity that it's not appropriate. But I don't think it's a battle I'm going to win right now - everyone I know takes the view that of course it's nonsense but it's what we're judged on so we just have to do our best to play the game.

But although I am required to set a numerical target based on levels of progress, at least I get to set it myself (whereas I see on here people having targets imposed on them which are completely unachievable). I will set a realistic target which is in line with what I think my pupils are going to achieve based on the assessments they've done so far (3 controlled assessments and 2 mock exams mean I'm fairly confident I can make accurate predictions).

My question was about the second target - the one which is about developing my teaching and pursuing an area of interest. I've now come up with one. :)

Thanks.

6. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

A few years ago at our school, 'the management' decreed that one of our PM targets had to be about our work/life balance.

I asked what would happen if we failed to meet that target...there was no reply.

7. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Only set targets for things you have already done or are currently doing wherever possible. Then all you need to do is provide evidence of this new innovation. Don't make work for yourself.

bombaysapphire and FolkFan like this.