1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for an outstanding literacy lesson for Year 2!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by floppydog, Mar 21, 2010.

1. I have to teach literacy to year 2 for a job interview. Haven't taught this year group for a few years as I've been with the Early Years. We have been asked to share a book and then develop an aspect of it. I'm not sure whether to focus on a creative approach with a general learning objective or whether they are expecting an ofsted type lesson where progression is measurable. Any ideas for both?

2. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

I might be being really thick and not understanding your question because I don't understand why you are saying you can't have both. Progress should always be measurable and as far as possible we should always strive to teach creatively.

3. stressed.kath

stressed.kath New commenter

Am i really gullible?

4. Sorry, didn't make myself very clear. 'Creative' was probably the wrong word to use. Of course you can have creativity and progress. I was just after some ideas for a lesson that had a 'wow' factor that would show good progress in 30 mins with a class that I don't know!

5. My 'Outstanding' was a lesson I planned as part of my Traditional Stories unit. We moved from Cinderella to Cinderboy (boy heavy class). The lesson was mainly speaking and listening. Read the first chapter of the book, to introduce the characters. Talked about elements of a traditional stories, had the children in groups, each group were given an envelope of photos (from google images) which suggested what could happen next. As a group they had to sequence the images and develop a middle and end for the story. Shared story ideas at the end.
    My Head loved it!?

6. Hi, this lesson sounds perfect for what I'm looking for. I know it was a long time ago but what pictures did you use for each group? Thank you.

7. I wasn't observed for this lesson but taught it recently to my Y2s and even my LA got it. If you want a word type lesson where progress will be obvious - teaching adverbs.
    You will need to recap on adjectives and verbs (they might not know the technical vocab) and then expain that an adverb is an adjective that describes the verb explaining HOW something happens.
    I took them outside in groups of 2/3, and gave them sentence starters that they had to act out and come up with an adverb to complete. EG "The baby crawled...", "The frog swam....". They then had time performing the actions and recorded adverbs on their whiteboards. We discussed how they often ended in "ly" (quickly, carefully, slowly, excitedly).
    Every child in my class made progress and learnt something new.
    If time, you can show how an adverb changes meaning as a plenary. Perhaps give different children a phrase to say using a different adverb, and ask the class to guess the adverb.
    EG "She's such a great ballerina." Sarah said proudly/angrily/grumpily/exitedly.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I assume the OP will give the contributers a % of his or her salary for giving him or her a lesson, if he or she uses it in his or her interview and is offered the job.

9. As this thread is around 19 months old now, it's very possible they have already had the interview...

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ahh...didn't spot that it was a resurrected thread.

11. Oops, didn't look at the date.