1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for an English Teacher?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by thethiefoftime, Nov 5, 2015.

1. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Hi there,

I currently teach English to 11-18 year olds but, after eleven years, I have had enough of the anxiety teaching brings with it. Does anyone have any suggestions for what else I could be qualified for? I'm struggling to find alternatives I feel passionate about.

Thanks so much!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

3. Katierobertson

Katierobertson New commenter

When I took time out, I started private tutoring, for ESOL and foreign language students, which was reasonably lucrative. Mostly for students who paid to have their essays made legible! I then retrained in SEN and this is a nice change. The admin is hideous, but that English teacher ability to write is very useful, and most of the students are not what you would think- they are a quirky bunch, but interesting.

4. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Hi there,

I was in a very similar position to the one you are in now. I was a full time teacher in Scotland, but after a few years I became disheartened with the politics and admin of the class teacher role. Still wanting to look for something in the education industry, I began tutoring full time and it has been the best thing I have done!

I suggest you research tuition companies near you, as I'm sure there will be work available for you - often well paid work and much less stressful than a classroom position!

Good luck :)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

In addition to private tuition, you could also be a distance learning tutor for some of the companies that offer distance learning courses.

Don't forget there network marketing businesses if you find a product you enjoy selling, or even starting your own business if you have another interest or skill you could make money from.

If you are in a financial position to do so, you could work as a supply teacher while you retrain or study something else.

7. thethiefoftime

thethiefoftime Occasional commenter

Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really appreciate it.

@ftb07154 Could you please suggest some reputable companies I can look into for private tutoring? Or PM me instead?

@pepper5 Would you mind doing the same for distance learning tutors please?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Better PM as on the forums we are not supposed to mention individual companies, schools, etc . . .

Best wishes

9. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Thanks TheoGriff - I love your advice and posts on here!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:cool:

Best wishes