1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for an animal display for reception age?!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hopeness93, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I have a huge dilemma, im training to be a teachign assistant level 2 and for one of my units i must create a display! The topic for this term is animals so would be great if the display focussed on animals!
    The children went on a school trip to a petting centre which had, horses, sheep, pigs, alpacas, lizards, snakes, spiders, guinea pigs, chipmunks, rabbits, hedgehogs, ferrets etc and wanted to do a display focussing on this... any ideas would be gratefull.
    They are also learning about repeating patterns and adding up, so any ideas relating to any of this would be sooooo helpful!

2. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

If I were you I would sit back and see what the children produce now that they have been inspired by all those lovely animals. I would write down what they say as they create it and then write that down on speech bubbles and put that up with what the child produces. Add to it as more children create things. This will give a more personalised touch to displays in the classroom and will be more engaging to the children. They will see their work up (work that they were truly inspired to create rather than work they were told they had to produce) and they will see that what they had to say was SO important that it was written down on a speech bubble for others to see. Have a look here at Alistair's blog and read the first post when it talks about displays: http://abcdoes.typepad.com/

3. I like the ideas above.
    Also, if there's room for them to reach-laminate or sticky back the bottom of the display so that it's interactive-you could stick 3 pictures of animals up and have a bubble saying 'Which is your favourite animal'...have their laminated names or faces so they can move them-you could change the animals every week.

4. My class absolutely LOVE it when displays include photos of themselves. Include lots of pictures from the trip, if you took any, it'll encourage the children to talk lots about their experiences and you'll have lots of information to write in the speech bubbles mentioned above!