1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for an afternoon in Year 6

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nhdut15, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I'm booked in tomorrow for a day in a year 6 class where I need to bring my own work. I've sorted Literacy and Numeracy (thank God for PrimaryResources), but I dont usually do upper key stage 2 so I've not really got many resources or ideas for that age.
    I was just wondering if anyone has any simple ideas for the afternoon. I would usually do RE activities, as that is my area, but it's a Catholic school so they might have quite strict guidelines so thats my expertise out of the window! I was thinking of something arty but I've not been to the school before so I don't know about resources. Art was just my initial idea so if you have any other subjects in mind that would be great.
    Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
    Nhdut15

2. darkness

darkness New commenter

Bloody cheek if you ask me. Clearly a planned absence and known in advance.

3. darkness

darkness New commenter

I would do a little bit of history and mix that with an art project. Find out in the morning what they have been doing in history, and continue from that. Doesn't matter the topic, tudors, WW2, they can draw some stuff and write about it and would be relevant to what they are currently doing.

4. Seen a nice one done for Art using Andy Warhol's Monroe pictures - they divide a page into 4, draw themselves as an outline using a mirror (and pencil obviously) four times as identically as they can - then have to colour each one in differently using outlandish colours. Could probably fill an afternoon using that one (blatantly nicked from a class teacher using it as a start of term one lol).
    Children's books for a younger audience - talk about the language used, the simple predictable story structure and they can either make them as an origami book, or stapled together.

5. Thanks for the responses. [​IMG]
    I went with a PSHE activity where the children designed a child friendly supermarket and an art activity where they created a WW2 style propaganda poster (WW2 was the class topic). The children actually loved both of these activities and were REALLY enthusiastic about them.

6. Suppose it was quite cheeky as the class teacher was in school, with a LA advisor, and had known about it for weeks. However, it was actually nice planning (never thought I'd say that!!) and teaching my own thing. It's also led to more work in the school covering another teacher for the rest of this week and possibly next week so I can't really complain!