1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for an active starter for a Salsa lesson

Discussion in 'Music' started by dbn, Feb 25, 2012.

1. dbn

dbn New commenter

Hello, I'm looking for ideas for an active starter relating to Salsa music. The main task will be percussion based so thinking of other ideas. It is a very bright year 10 group. Has any one any imaginative ideas? I'm not sure if a listening activity is 'active' enough.
    Thanks for any help.

2. dbn

dbn New commenter

Hello, thanks for these good suggestions. I have to stick to a short starter of 5 mins!
    I wish I had longer, another time I would use these ideas.
    Thank you.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In that case, I'd just introduce the basic son clave (or rumba clave) rhythm, and get them to copy it using portable instruments such as claves and a retsi-retsi, plus clapping. Perhaps play along to a CD. It can work well if you get everyone into a snaking conga line, following a leader around the room. Don't lead yourself, unless you have eyes in the back of your head. [​IMG]

4. dbn

dbn New commenter

Thank you, learning the son clave is the next activity in my plan, to date. Still giving it thought. Now thinking of using the initial idea of a listening exercise ...but making it more active by students choosing who answers the question by passing the clave around ...
    We could go back to the music at the end and play along to it...thanks for the ideas.