1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for an A Level Further Maths online taster session? 30mins

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by boznia, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:19 PM.

1. boznia

boznia New commenter

Fellow Maths teachers,

We have an online sixth form induction coming up and have some good ideas using DESMOS with our A Level students.
    I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a 30-40 minute zoom session we are due to run for our potential Further Mathematicians.
    We want them doing so Maths, rather than listening to an introduction/watching a video.

Any ideas would be very gratefully received.

Thanks and take care of yourselves.

2. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

Proof by induction? A further maths only topic that they will not have met before yet can access without any more knowledge. Will excite the keen mathematicians, and might put that seed of doubt in the minds of those who probably shouldn’t be taking the subject (a reason I always like to start off with it when teaching yr 12). Maybe stick to divisibility proofs in a 40 minute lesson as they are the most straightforward.

strawbs likes this.
  3. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Another idea would be an introduction to complex numbers. It is a good example of how something which was originally regarded as a mathematical curiosity has turned out to be incredibly useful. You could get them to solve quadratic equations with complex roots and do multiplication and division with complex numbers.

strawbs and Boardingmaster like this.
  4. boznia

boznia New commenter

Thaks @gainly and @Boardingmaster , a couple of good topics to consider. We do normally do complex numbers when in a classroom for taster sessions, I might just think about how this can be adapted for online learning.

I have seen some nice puzzles that other schools use as icebreakers, which I might 'borrow' too.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.