1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for an A Level Bridging Task to help teach self study?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by boznia, May 22, 2017.

1. boznia

boznia New commenter

To the good folks of the Maths Community on TES.

I am considering introducing a different bridging task for our prospective Sixth form Mathematicians which requires students to carry out some self study and produce some written work/a presentation showing their findings. This would include some typical questions, and worked solutions and possibly some explanation.

Our usual approach is to use the bridging work as an opportunity to audit algebra skills and to try to ensure that students hit the ground running. Without doing any Maths over the summer holidays they can get very 'rusty'.

My question is, has anybody got any ideas for a suitable piece of Mathematics that is not too taxing and not on either the GCSE course or the A Level course.

The ideas I have so far are : Working in different number bases, Modulo arithmetic ( similiar ), moving averages.

I would be grateful for any ideas or advice that anyone has to give.

Thanks for your time,

Ben

2. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I personally think there is an easy answer to this, if you really want them to hit the ground running then you need to get beyond "not too taxing" and just do some Maths. A perfect solution in my opinion is OCR's wonderful new resource. See this post.

3. whornby

whornby New commenter

Thanks Colleen, we are very pleased with it.
    One reason it is so good is that it has been developed over a number of years by one of our resource developers at his school, and then tweaked and rewritten to fit the new course.

Colleen_Young likes this.
  4. DamianR

DamianR New commenter

I particularly like this quote from the resource Colleen mentions:

This makes the working very much easier. Please don’t respond by saying “well, my method gets the same answer”!​

Colleen_Young likes this.