1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for all day activities with post 16 SLD when you can't go out

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Katip, Dec 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Katip

Katip New commenter

I am desperately looking for some ideas. Next term there is a large Art project going on taking all day rehearsals on another site for nearly everyone in my SLD post 16 group. I will be left on site with 2 brilliant TAs and 2 ASC pupils whose behaviour, particular in terms of violent outbursts, has meant they can no longer participate in the project. To make matters worse I am pregnant and so we really can't leave the site as I would be no help in a running/violent situations. So what do we do? There will be 6 days in total next term. We have the run of the place - kitchen, gym and classrooms. We could make as much noise/mess as we liked. This could be a great opportunity! I will plan to do some cooking but both students can becoming very fixated food and it can be a trigger point so I will need some other things to do. Any ideas?

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Are the days spread out over the term or in block over a week or two?
    I would do a story - maybe one of Jo Grace’s sensory stories to tie things together and give me a focus to develop the days around. Something like her spice one from her book- then there is the story, activities,cooking and art ideas all linked and age appropriate. You can spend 6 days doing it easiy

3. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

What are their interests/hobbies? It would be a great opportunity to do activities which build on something they enjoy.

4. Katip

Katip New commenter

Good idea but it is quite tricky to pin down interests. One like watching traffic and trains, food and the cheeky girls. The other is very food orientated and will eat usual things so handfuls of salt when making salt dough for example. We are near the sea so maybe something beachy if my TAs are happy to walk down to the shore with me waddling behind.....

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Maybe you could do the sensory story about selkies? Lots of sea related things in that. Or “The Tempest” I’ve done that with sixth formers before. They loved it (so did I)