1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for activity for 1st observation

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by anibee, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm a student working with pre-school children. We're learning about observations & I'm finding it a bit daunting. I've been learning about time-sampling, event-sampling & anecdotal observations & asked in my setting if I could do an observation. They suggested I do a planned activity & observe that, but I'm unsure how to do this. I was under the impression that observations were supposed to gather facts without inference, but in my setting they seem to be looking for particular learning outcomes. I'm confused about it!! Can anyone make it clearer for me?
    Can anyone recommend an activity good for pre-school age?

2. There are many different self initiated activities you can plan for without leading the activity and therefore getting the evidence you require.
    You need to think about what you hope to observe the children doing for example you might want to see if they can count accurately using 1 to 1 correspondance or if they share and take turns.
    Think about what the children are currently interested in and try to plan an activity around that. For example if they like construction and have recently seen Tangled you could plan an activity for children to build Rapunzels tower - You might put pictures in with your chosen construction. You can then show/suggest to the children what they could do with the construction. You then leave them to it and observe. This is a very basic example but could meet either of the above e.g. suggest the children make a tower which is 5 bricks tall, or suggest they work together to build a tower. You can also extend the activity by adding further resources e.g people, measuring worms, suggesting children make a tower as tall as/taller than...
    I hope this helps even if it is a very basic example!
    Good luck

3. Thankyou flower82,
    That helps alot, as what was confusing me was how to observe if I was leading an activity. I hadn't understood that I could plan an activity, then step back from it. It might seem obvious, but it's all new to me!
    I like your suggestion too, I spent a good while yesterday building with big foam construction shapes, we built them into a tower and then into a bridge and then into 2 bridges and the children were trying to wriggle underneath without the bridges collapsing. There was lots of co-operation and turn taking..I wish I'd observed it!! I think the construction is a good starting point, thanks xx