1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a Year 1 classroom layout please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by purplebumblebee7, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Hi everyone,

I am an NQT due to start in Year 1 from September. I was just wondering how other Year 1 teachers set up their classroom, what is your layout like? How many tables? Do you include role play areas? Is it similar to a reception classroom? Do you have sepcific areas like malleable, creative, construction, writing etc..? Just after some advice really as to how I should set my classroom up, I'm feeling a bit over whelmed that it is up to me now!!
    thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. My class has a role play corner, which is pirates at the moment. I have a book corner where the childen can go and read. I also have a writing area, listening station where the children can put on headphones and listen to stroies or music and outside I have a sand and water trays.
    As for my tables, I have 5 sets of table (a set of tables is made up of 2 tables), space is a premium and sometimes the place does looks cluttered but it works.
    Hope this helps and good luck for September.

Gareth x

3. lukesmum

lukesmum Occasional commenter

In my Y1 class I have 3 tables, book area, maths area, constuction area, dt area with table, water, easel, dough with table, sand, role play and pc.
    The children are in 4 groups and move around the activities on a daily basis. Children use the areas of provision as part of their learning and this is indicated in my plan. (There are examples of these in resources)
    I love teaching Y1, I hope you enjoy it too and all the very best!!
    LM