1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for a whole school Christmas Production

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by emilydthefirst, May 4, 2011.

1. Hello, I would appreciate some help.
    I have been in the same school for 17 years now, and I am struggling for ideas for the main school production which is always staged at Christmas.
    The production needs to cater for approx 30-40 students, have a female bias (animal characters are often easy to adapt to either gender), allow for some music (particularly choral - but not needing strong individual singers), have a family appeal yet NOT BE A PANTO and be a bit quirky or dark (yes 'Grease' and 'Hairspray' are most certainly not on the agenda)!!!
    To give you an idea of the sort of thing I am after, here is a list of former productions we have done:
    The Tale of despereaux (Kate Dicamillo - my adaptation): Peter Pan (not a panto version - adapted by myself): Matilda (Dhal again adapted by me): Masquerade (Terry Pratchett): The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (another personal adaptation): The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (yep my adaptation): The Railway Children, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (another Pratchett): The Hogfather (Pratchett again - adapted by me), Idea from a friend (a beautiful play - if you've never heard of it and are looking for something for yourself then look it up - it used to be on schoolproductions.com) The Little Princess (FHB - again an adaptation by me): Humbug (A Christmas carol version obviously), Pops Panto and Good King Wencelaslas.
    I hope you can see I am def not afraid to go through the hard work of adapting a damn fine story into a damn fine production.
    So if anyone could suggest something I really would appreciate it. I am currently reading about 10 children's books a week trying to find something appropriate, but am coming up with zilch!!
    Cheers for your potential help.

2. Hello, I would appreciate some help.
    I have been in the same school for 17 years now, and I am struggling for ideas for the main school production which is always staged at Christmas.
    The production needs to cater for approx 30-40 students, have a female bias (animal characters are often easy to adapt to either gender), allow for some music (particularly choral - but not needing strong individual singers), have a family appeal yet NOT BE A PANTO and be a bit quirky or dark (yes 'Grease' and 'Hairspray' are most certainly not on the agenda)!!!
    To give you an idea of the sort of thing I am after, here is a list of former productions we have done:
    The Tale of despereaux (Kate Dicamillo - my adaptation): Peter Pan (not a panto version - adapted by myself): Matilda (Dhal again adapted by me): Masquerade (Terry Pratchett): The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (another personal adaptation): The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (yep my adaptation): The Railway Children, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents (another Pratchett): The Hogfather (Pratchett again - adapted by me), Idea from a friend (a beautiful play - if you've never heard of it and are looking for something for yourself then look it up - it used to be on schoolproductions.com) The Little Princess (FHB - again an adaptation by me): Humbug (A Christmas carol version obviously), Pops Panto and Good King Wencelaslas.
    I hope you can see I am def not afraid to go through the hard work of adapting a damn fine story into a damn fine production.
    So if anyone could suggest something I really would appreciate it. I am currently reading about 10 children's books a week trying to find something appropriate, but am coming up with zilch!!
    Cheers for your potential help.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Write one with the kids?

Easier than you might think..... Decide on a theme....
    Obviously Christmas mgiht be an obvious one.... throw in a few songs.....You might be surprised what they come up with that you can shape into a show.

4. We did Twas the night before christmas. Came with a CD and script incl music and a bit of dance was in there too, quite cute.

5. Have you tried Lazy Bee Scripts. They have a great varied range

6. angelinascullina

angelinascullina New commenter

Visit www.luckybucket.co.uk and request free perusal copies of anything that interests you. Quirky, edgy and possibly what you are looking for. They have a show going to the Edinburgh Fringe and their patron is Richard Harris - well worth a look. Good luck.